Q. From the photos, kindly tell me if I need skin grafting for the wound.

Dr. Arvind Guru
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 05, 2021

I injured myself when I fell from my scooter a month back. It is healing, but the doctor has said that skin grafting is required. I wanted to confirm if skin grafting is necessary or the wound would heal on its own by regular dressing. I have attached two pictures one was taken 12 days back, and the other was taken today. 

#

After seeing both the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can tell you the following.

• The wound now is ready for skin grafting. It is clean, and the graft will be taken up very well in most areas, other than the groin. The groin will require a repeat graft later.
  • If you do not get it grafted it will heal by itself, but it will take a long time. You can see for yourself, that in the last 12 days wound became clean, but the size decreased only by 1 cm. So, it will take around 3 to 6 months to heal, which is not good.
  • To be on a bed rest for 3 to 6 months can create a lot of other life-threatening problems. In obese patients, if you let it heal on its own, it can form contractures ( a band like scars), which can restrict movement at the joint. These will again need surgery and grafting.
  • It will be more cost effective to get it grafted than alternate days dressing for 3 to 6 months.
  • Till this wound is there, the body metabolism will invariably be directed towards muscle breakdown in the rest of the body, which can be a disaster if prolonged.
  • It can repeatedly get dirty with stools and urine, and infection can occur.

Your doctor is right in suggesting skin grafting. I think you should listen to him or her.

For further queries consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

|