Q. My mom has skin infection around his face, neck and ear. Please help.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

My mother is 57 years old and she is a cardiac patient. She is having skin infection around his face, neck, and ear area.

For the past two days she is taking the following medicines for this infection:

1. Surfaz- SN ointment (Clotrimazole, Beclomethasone Dipropionate, and Neomycin sulfate cream).

2. Zenflox- OZ (Ofloxacin and Ornidazole).

3. Allegra 120 mg. Please suggest.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have seen the picture. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This is herpes zoster. The following medicines are required for this condition.

Tablet Valcivir 1 g thrice daily for seven days, Fusidic acid cream twice daily, and tablet Dolo 650 mg (as required for pain).

Is there any hearing loss or ringing voices inside that side of ear? Any face palsy? (for this you can send front facing a picture of your face with both eyes wide open).

| 

No, she is not having any hearing loss or ringing voices inside that side of the ear and also no face palsy. Please find the attachment.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

I have recommended the medicines for her problem already and it is a safe medicine. However, since she is a cardiac patient, it is advisable to take the advice from your cardiologist before starting these medicines.

| 

My mother has taken the medications recommended by you and she has completed her dosage for 7 days and also applying the cream at the infected area. Although the pain has reduced significantly, still there is a little pain and redness. I am attaching the picture of the current condition of infection around his face area. Kindly advise whether we should further continue the medicine with same dosage and for how long?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

Good to know she is feeling better. Now you can stop taking Valcivir. However, some infection is left on the face and for that, she should continue Fusidic acid cream twice daily for 10 days.

In addition, if the open wounds show any pus or infection, she can start antibiotic like tablet Pulmocef (Cefuroxime Axetil) 500 mg twice daily for five days. It is generally a safe antibiotic. Please give her tablet Dolo 650 (Paracetamol) as per need, for pain.

| 

The wound has dried and the upper crest after peeling off is leaving red skin behind (there is no blood or pus) and itchy. She is using neem leaves infused with warm water for cleaning the infected area, whether it is safe to use or not?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

It is fine you can skip oral antibiotics. She can use neem but do not keep it wet for a long time. Just wash with this water and dry off.

| 

I was exposed to herpes zoster virus in the first month of pregnancy. Do I have to terminate?

Query: Hi doctor,I am being advised to terminate a desired pregnancy because of the medication I have been prescribed to tackle a virus that I got just after becoming pregnant. I am looking for a second medical opinion on whether termination is necessary. I would like to understand the risks to the fetus o...  Read Full »

A Patient's Guide to Recurrent Skin Infections (Boils, Pimples, Abscesses)

Article Overview: If you have recurrent skin infections caused by bacteria, here are some strategies to help minimize the risk. Read Article

Dr. Davie Wong

1) Hygiene: The bacteria that cause skin infections are transmitted by skin contact. Wash your hands diligently and frequently to minimize the spread of bacteria to other parts of your body, to other people, and to objects you touch. 2) Decontaminate Yourself: Bleach baths are an effective way to...  Read Article

Please help with the wart-like growth on my foreskin.

Query: Hi doctor, I had wart-like growth on my foreskin. I consulted a doctor, who asked me to get a circumcision done. So I got the circumcision done. The biopsy result showed that they were viral warts (condyloma acuminatum), and the doctor gave me tablet Valtoval for a month. After going through the int...  Read Full »