Q. My mother has skin infection in face, neck, and ear canal. What could cause this?

Dr. Abhishek Ponathil

My mother is 57 years old. She is having skin infection around his face, neck, and ear area and she is a cardiac patient.

For the past two days she is taking Surfaz-SN ointment (Clotrimazole, Beclomethasone Dipropionate, and Neomycin sulfate cream), Zenflox- OZ (Ofloxacin and Ornidazole), and Allegra 120 mg. Please help.

#

Your mother has herpes zoster. It is caused by varicella zoster virus which causes chickenpox earlier in life and gets reactivated later in life to cause herpes zoster. She has to take tablet Valacyclovir 1 gm thrice a day for seven days.

For the pain, tablet Diclofenac 50 mg at night ( if severe, twice a day). Apply Fusidic acid cream twice a day over it to avoid secondary bacterial infection.

Varicella zoster virus.

Herpes zoster.

Tablet Valacyclovir 1 gm thrice a day for one week, Diclofenac 50 mg at night for one week (twice a day if severe pain) along with tablet Rabeprazole 20 mg in the morning empty stomach.

Follow up after one week.

|