Q. How to treat deep cuts on the top of the finger?

Dr. Penchilaprasad Kandikattu

I cut my finger; it was pretty deep with a flap across the nail and the top of the finger. So I went to the drug store and bought paper stitches and hydrogen peroxide. The top of the finger is numb and is now swollen and sore on the second day.

Do I need an actual stitch, or will this heal fine?

#

If possible, could you please share a photo of the injured finger? Injury across the nail may need the removal of the distal part of the nail, which is dead; otherwise, it will get infected. You may need a nail bed repair if the cut is across the nail bed. Consult with a specialist doctor, talk with him or her and take the following medicines with their consent. Keep the wound dry and apply Neosporin (Bacitracin, Neomycin, Polymyxin B) powder locally twice a day. Get a Tetanus Toxoid injection if you have not taken that in the past five years. In case of swelling, do icing locally. For pain, use Hifenac P (Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) tablet twice a day after meal. Use antibiotics like Amoxicillin for rapid healing.

I cut my finger quite deep across the nail. I got paper stitches two days ago and cleaned the wound. The top of the injured finger is now a little violet at the corner and numb. It is not bleeding. Do I need a stitch?

#

I have gone through the photograph (attachment removed to protect the patient's privacy) but want to see the raw wound. Could you please send it to me? Then I will decide whether you need stitching or not.

|