HomeAnswersRheumatologyskin rashI have been experiencing skin rashes and persistent itchiness for approximately a year. What can be the cause?

What could cause persistent itchiness and skin rashes?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 12, 2023
Reviewed AtNovember 12, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I have been experiencing skin rashes and persistent itchiness for approximately a year, and I am taking antihistamine pills for relief. Despite consulting multiple dermatologists and receiving negative allergy and skin tests, my symptoms persist. I am currently taking Benazepril. Considering the lack of improvement, I wonder if there could be a possibility of an autoimmune disorder and I would like to undergo an appropriate evaluation for this. Kindly help.

Thank you.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern.

After reviewing your post, it appears that apart from autoimmune diseases, generalized itching can also be caused by chronic urticaria. It is also associated with connective tissue diseases such as Sjögren's syndrome, autoimmune hepatitis, and primary biliary disease.

Several investigative measures can provide valuable insights. These include the following:

  1. ANA HEp-2 (antinuclear antibody).

  2. Measuring IgE levels (Immunoglobulin E).

  3. Assessing eosinophil counts.

  4. Testing for anti-LKM antibodies (liver-kidney microsomal antibodies).

  5. Liver function tests.

Until a definitive diagnosis is established, it is advisable to continue the use of antihistamines to manage and alleviate symptoms.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you have any further queries.

Thank you.

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

Doctor, should I proceed with ordering these tests through you, or would it be advisable to follow up with a local healthcare provider? Kindly suggest.

Thank you.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

These tests can be conducted at a local laboratory.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey
Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey


Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Read answers about:

skin rashitching

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy