Q. What does an isolated, painless, non-water-filled rash indicate?

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

I have a skin rash on one of my inner legs. It originated with mild pain in my inner leg that would come and go, and then the pain went away after a few days. After that, the pain I felt was nowhere else but my inner leg with the same rash. I have had the rash for more than five days now. I do not have a pain sensation, but I noticed it and was concerned. Kindly suggest.

#

I can understand your concern. Please mention your age, duration of the symptoms (pain on the inner side), duration and distribution of the rash, and present symptoms in and around the rash. Is the rash persistent or recurrent, and is it a water-filled lesion or just a rash? Do you have any other disease or symptoms? Is there any medical history? Intercourse or contact history, prior history of herpes simplex, zoster, chickenpox, or any other history? Please get back with details for clarification.

I am a 28-year-old male. The details you asked for are: duration of the pain is two to three days, and it was a sharp pain in the area the rash originated, and then the pain disappeared. The duration of the rash is more than five days, and the rash is isolated to the right inner leg. The rash is not water-filled. It does not itch or hurt. I am sexually active, but with the same girl. On the date that my leg discomfort began to arise, I had done the lab tests of my girlfriend to verify that she did not have herpes, since before dating her, my test results for it were negative. She tested negative for the HSV IgM test. My girlfriend tested positive for HPV, but I have never shown symptoms. So I am curoius if this is HPV? Note that I am HPV 4 vaccinated, and I had a second dose of the three doses of the HPV 9 vaccine.

#

The rash appears more towards herpetic lesions (herpes simplex or zoster) with the given history and pictures (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). You can consult your doctor for thorough examination and management. You and your partner can go for HSV (herpes simplex virus) 1 and 2 IgM and IgG antibodies. It may not be HPV (human papillomavirus) related. I hope this helps.

|