Q. A few reddish spots have developed on my baby's head. Are they harmful?

Dr. Navreet Sharda
Published on Jun 26, 2016

My baby boy, who is 8 months 14 days old. His weight is 7.6 kg and height is 27 inches. He is taking Arbivit-3 and Zincovit drops daily according to the doctor's advice. Are his weight and height fine? From few days, there are some reddish spots developed on his head and in some parts of the body. It is gradually increasing and there is no secretion from this spot. What are these spots? Are these harmful? What is the treatment? Please explain me.

Dr. Navreet Sharda

Paediatrics
#

• Your son's weight and height are in normal range, but it is definitely towards lower side. I expect his weight to be between 2 to 3 kg at the time of birth.
  • He need close monitoring as far as growth is concerned. If he is gaining weight adequately in the next coming months, then no concerns will arise or otherwise we need to investigate.
  • Right now, I will suggest you to continue Arbivit (vitamin D) and Zincovit (multivitamin) for your baby. Focus on three to four meal diet with one wheat and rice based diet along with one fruit, one vegetable or dal based diet.
  • About the rash, I am concerned as it is hard to say without any picture.
  • If no other symptoms are there, then I suggest you to apply T-bact skin ointment (Mupirocin) or Sofinox skin ointment (Fusidic acid) on the rashes twice a day for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

My child is 9 months old. He was given typhoid vaccine (Typbar-TCV) as per immunization schedule. According to the immunization schedule, measles vaccine is due in this month and MMR-1 MMR-2 is due in 15 months of age and 4-5 years respectively. Should measles and MMR be given separately? Is it fine to give only MMR vaccine in 9 months and 15 months, according to new IAP immunization schedule? After how many days of typhoid vaccine, should I get his MMR vaccine? Please explain.

Dr. Navreet Sharda

Paediatrics
#

• Nowadays, we are giving MMR instead of measles at 9 months and 15 months of age.
  • MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) already contains measles so no need to give separately.
  • There should be a gap of one month between MMR and typhoid TCV - typhoid conjugate vaccine.

For further doubts consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Can I grow any longer by taking HGH?

Query: Hi doctor, Can I grow any longer? I am 16 years old. My parents' heights are about 5'5" and 5'0" and my sister is 5'1". I had my knee's and hand's X-ray and both of them are fused. Since then I have grown only an inch or two. I was 5'1" back then now I am like 5'3" or 5'4" in morning. I have been ...  Read Full »

What Can Cause Sudden Tingling And Itchy Sensation?

Query: Hi doctor, Two months ago I started feeling tingling and itching sensation between my thighs and then up to my chest. I just took the most painful shower ever (warm water). It stung and I wanted to scratch my skin off. At first there was nothing visible, just itching, now you can see red dots here...  Read Full »