Q. After taking Amoxicillin for ear infection, I get rashes on face, neck and forearms. Please help.

Dr. Snehal Laul

Hello doctor

I am a 20-year-old female. I am currently experiencing some allergic reaction. Last week, I took Amoxicillin along with antihistamines to treat my ear infection. I stopped taking Amoxicillin after seven days but continued taking the antihistamine. However, two days after I noticed some rash on my forearm and they spread onto my neck and face by evening. The next day, I visited a dermatologist who told me it could be a possible drug reaction and prescribed Claricort twice daily and Bilastine once every night. It has been two days since I have been taking these, but I do not see any improvements. In fact my rashes had only gotten worse and have now spread all over my body. They are red itchy patches. I have not had any other symptoms besides a bit of a mild fever and body ache on the day I went to see the dermatologist. I took some Ibuprofen and I felt better right away. I really want the rashes to go away because I can no longer sleep well.

Dr. Snehal Laul

Dermatology Venereology
#

It is a drug reaction, eruption due to Amoxicillin with hives and exanthem.

Take tablet Atarax 10 mg (Hydroxyzine dihydrochloride) thrice daily for seven days, or Widcet 5 mg twice daily for seven days. Apply Dermocalm lotion two to three times a day for 10 days.

Any history of drug allergies in the past? History of atopy or allergies? Any contact with irritants? Use of soap loaded with chemicals? Any new cosmetic products use? Aggravating factors if noticed? Sweat? Heat? Food allergies?

Please reply to my queries.

| 

No drug allergies in the past. I have only experienced hives for the first time a couple of years back after camping. I had it on my arms and I suspect that some plant caused it. And then last January, I had allergic rhinitis due to ashfall dust. I took some antihistamines for a few days.

No contact with irritants so far. I have stayed indoors for the past months and only going out for grocery shopping. I have been using a mild soap since last week after I was diagnosed with my ear infection. No new cosmetic products use and no aggravation factors. I am a little bit of lactose and alcohol intolerant, but I do not consume them regularly and it has been months since.

Should I discontinue the medicines I am currently taking? Is it fine to switch?

Dr. Snehal Laul

Dermatology Venereology
#

Complete the previous treatment. You can start application of Dermocalm (Paraffin and Calamine) lotion.

Avoid the drugs which caused the reaction/exanthem (antibiotics such as Ampicillin, Atropin, Chlorpropamide, Insulin, Nitrofurantoin, Penicillin, Barbiturates, Griseofulvin, Sulphonamides, Paraaminosalicylic acid, OC pills).

Avoid drugs causing urticaria (Acetylsalicylic acid, toxoids, serum, pollen vaccines, opiates (Morphine), Chloramphenicol).

History of airborne photo-allergic reactions? Do you have repeated exposure to sunlight? Itchy papules? Eczematous plaques, vesicles and urticaria? Parthenium dermatitis? Congress grass allergies if any?

Are there elevated serum IgE levels? Cheilitis? Xerosis? Dry skin? Itch when sweating? Food intolerance? Lactose intolerance? Courses influenced by environmental factors?

|