Q. Can severe itching with stomach pain, joint pain, and constipation in a person be a delusion?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have been to many doctor's over the years, and I did not get any help. My skin is constantly itching, I have stomach pain (mostly dull sharp pain during movement), my joints aches, and I am constipated. I only go once a week, maybe. My stomach feels like something is moving, like a baby fluttering, but I am not pregnant. My eyes and eyebrows itch so much, so I sometimes pull them out. My face itches so bad, and it is all that I always think about. The itching and pain got so bad a few times out of the year that I stayed in the house for about two weeks. These problems are year-round for at least 15 years. No doctor will listen to me or run any tests. They say that I am delusional. They prescribed me medication, and I took it as directed and still have the same issues. I believe that what I am having is an actual medical issue, and the doctors I am seeing are just untrained and feel parasitic infection is too rare for me to have. I need help, please. Currently, I am taking Lithium, Xanax (Alprazolam), Latuda (Lurasidone), and Zoloft (Sertraline).

#

Well, the rashes are real and not delusional. You were right. There is much reason for these rashes like,

• Atopy - Tendency to develop allergies.
  • Seborrheic dermatitis - An skin condition caused by inflammation of the sebum-producing glands in the skin.
  • Less likely, it can be due to the c1 esterase deficiency.
  • Very rarely due to systemic mastocytosis.
  • Food allergies are another reason for such rash.

The first two possibilities are skin-related, and I think an expert's (dermatologist's) opinion is required since I am not a trained dermatologist. For the rest of the possibilities, there are certain old tests which you should do, and let me know once the reports are available. Meanwhile, you should take, Tablet Cetirizine Hydrochloride one tablet at night time, this medication can cause excessive sleep. I am sure you have already received anti-parasitic medications. Secondly, try to notice if any food brings you this. Although I understand you mention that it happens every year and maybe a seasonal thing and not an everyday thing, which would be possible if it were food allergies.

Complete blood count.
c1 esterase levels.
Serum anti tTg IgA (serum anti-tissue transglutaminase immunoglobulin A antibodies) and IgG (immunoglobulin G).
Serum IgE (immunoglobulin E) levels.
Serum IgA levels.
Food allergy panel type I and type II.

See above and get an opinion from a dermatologist.

|