Q. Is my skin condition contagious?

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul

I have had a skin condition for the past five years. Recently, I began noticing some changes, especially on the palms, face, feet, scalp, mouth, and inner thighs. I started noticing some patches of hair loss, scaly rash on the palms, scaly feet, stretch marks on the inner thighs, and some whitish substance on the inner cheeks. Again I have had a sore throat and a bloating stomach for three years. I did several test like KOH, fungal culture, bacterial blood culture, throat swab culture, syphilis test, hepatitis B, urinalysis, and all were negative. I also did FBC and TSH, and everything looked normal. I observed that my brother has also developed those stretch marks, of which it seems like the rash is somehow contagious. I am new here, and I hope you will help me.

#

According to the picture (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), it looks like seborrheic dermatitis with dandruff issues. I suggest the following:

1) Wash scalp with Ketoscalp shampoo (Ketoconazole and Zinc pyrithione) on alternate days for ten days, then thrice weekly for four weeks.

2) Apply Topisal 6% lotion (Clobetasol and Salicylic acid) for 10 minutes on the scalp in the evening for ten days.

3) Apply Aquasoft max cream or Cetaphil moisturizing cream daily after bath for 20 days on dry areas.

4) Ketoconazole soap or Azac soap (Azelaic acid) for bathing for two months.

5) Avoid contact with chemicals, detergents, or frequent contact with water.

6) Use Ketoconazole lotion 20 minutes before bath for 20 days.

7) Moisturize your skin frequently.

8) Use aloe vera gel on the face too.

9) Avoid using harsh soap.

10) Avoid a long hot shower bath.

11) Do not use hot water for the bath. It should be lukewarm.

12) Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg at night after food for seven days (if there is itching).

13) Drink lots of water.

14) Tablet Zinc 100 mg once a day after food for 30 days.

15) Wash face twice a day with a Cetaphil cleanser for two months.

16) Use sunscreen daily.

17) Avoid scratching and rubbing of lesions.

Please follow the above for relief. I request you to follow-up with a picture and answer the following.

1) Any history of atopy or allergies?

2) Any recent exposure to the extreme environment?

3) Use of Steroid cream on the area of stretch marks in the past?

I do not have any history of allergies in the past. But for sure, I had dandruff when I was young. I am having throat discomfort and bloating stomach. Is it linked to dermatitis? Again I also have a geographical tongue. Regarding my history, I have had chickenpox in the past, and I was told my dad had shingles at some point in his life. The skin problem that I usually had in the past was scabies. I have attached files. Please advise.

#

According to the picture (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), it is seborrheic dermatitis, a type of Eczema. I would suggest the following:

1) Desonide lotion at night on hand for two weeks.

2) Capsule Antoxid-HC (antioxidant capsule) once daily after breakfast for 30 days.

3) Have food rich in anti-oxidants.

4) Liquid paraffin lotion in the daytime for 15 days.

5) Physiogel Hypoallergenic A1 cream or lotion is also a good option.

Other systemic symptoms are not related to it. Consume fruits and vegetables rich in Vitamin A like carrots, beetroot, watermelon, mango, papaya, and pumpkin. Vitamine A has a significant role in skin health. Dry skin can be because of cold weather.

Please answer the following to guide you better,

1) Is there night aggravation of itching?

2) Are the web spaces or toes involved?

3) Is there any similar complaints in the family?

I do not feel itchy at night. The attached images show my palm, web spaces, and lips. No one has a similar complaint in my family. But I stayed with a friend, and I also started observing that he had stretch marks as well. He was the first to develop the stretch marks early this year, and it was shocking because I do not think stretch marks are contagious. As for the lips, I usually see a whitish substance, and that made me start suspecting candida infection. I have no family history of psoriasis and no painful nodules. Of course, I have used steroid creams before. Please advise.

#

Changes in the oral environment that predispose or precipitate oral candidiasis include steroid inhaler use, reduced salivary flow (xerostomia), high sugar diet, immunosuppression, broad-spectrum antibiotics, and nutritional deficiencies. The diagnosis of this condition is made by positive direct microscopy. Management includes identifying and treating underlying predisposing factors, topical antifungal therapy, and oral antifungal therapy. Use prophylactic mouthwash like Hexidine (chlorhexidine) to prevent growth. Tablet Fluconazole 150 mg once a day after food for seven days. Avoid broad-spectrum antibiotics or steroid use.

Would you please answer the following,

1) Do you have an autoimmune disorder?

2) Do you have an iron deficiency?

3) Are you sexually active?

4) Do you have any addiction?

I hope to guide you better.

I am not a smoker. No sex in the past six years. No tests for iron and vitamin deficiency were taken. You might as well suggest the specific tests. There is no difficulty in eating or drinking. I have had some recurrent oral ulcers before. I also did a rheumatoid Factor test, and the results were negative. I appreciate your feedback.

#

I would suggest you get serum iron, vitamin B12 levels, and Complete blood count (CBC). Also, get an HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) test done. Follow-up with reports. I hope this helps.

Please find the reports attached. Please advise.

#

As per your reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), Hematology reports show average counts. Hemoglobin is within normal range. Vitamin B12 levels are raised. I suggest you avoid meat, seafood, and non-vegetarian food. I hope this helps.

I did my HIV test two months ago, and the results were negative. No injections for B12 were taken in the past. Please find the attached reports. Do I need to do further tests? Can this be due to an infection or an autoimmune response? Will tests for hepatitis A and C be relevant? Which other tests should be taken? Please advise.

#

As per your reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), you have low vitamin D levels. I suggest the following,

1) Ecomax D3 (vitamin D3) sachet once a week in a glass of milk for six weeks.

2) Tablet Shelcal 500 mg (vitamin D and calcium) once a day for 15 days.

3) Zinc capsules once at night after food for 30 days.

|