Q. My father has chickenpox-like rashes on his back. Is this a symptom of COVID-19?

Dr. Deepti Shukla

My father has a skin rash on the middle back from the past four days, and it is not spreading nor decreasing. It seems chickenpox-like rash and it is characterized by tiny pink bumps with a clear fluid in the middle (vesicles). No other area in the body is seen with the rash. Apart from the back rest of the body is absolutely fine.

I am afraid of it because I have read that skin rash is also considered as a COVID-19 symptom. I have a photo of the rash please let me know how to share it with you.

Can you please confirm me is this a COVID-19 positive symptom or a regular skin rash? Kindly please provide a skin rash cream for this pink bumps with a clear fluid in the middle rash.

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatology Venereology
#

I went through the history and photos you provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It suggests that your father has herpes zoster. Do not worry this is not COVID-19 symptom.

Herpes zoster is a viral infection that happens due to reactivation of latent chickepox infection when immunity falls. Do not worry it can be easily treated with antiviral medicines. Treatment needs to be started soon to promote rapid healing and to prevent complications.

But before advising treatment, I need to ask you a few questions. Does he have any known kidney disease? Is he on any other medicine for nay other illness like hypertension, diabetes or something else? Kindly help me with these answers so I can suggest to definitive treatment.

| 

I hope you have seen the picture of my dad which I have sent to you. He does not have any kidney problems. He has a little high blood pressure and sugar but these are mild. He uses Amtas AT ( in the morning), Ecosprin (afternoon). Some time back, he used Atarax 25 mg for skin infection on his head.

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatology Venereology
#

Yes, this is herpes zoster only. We need to start you on antiviral tablet. I do not get the option to upload the prescription on query platform. To upload the prescription phone or video consultation is required and that too if you are from India. Are you from India?

I will tell you the name of medicine here also.

You can take tablet Valacyclovir 1 g thrice daily for one week. Apply Sodium Fusidate cream twice daily on these bumps for one week. Take tablet Bilastin 10 mg one tablet daily at night for five days.

Does he have pain also, if yes, then I will suggest a medicine for pain also. Try if you get these medicines without prescription otherwise, take an appointment for phone consultation if you are in India.

Do not scratch these bumps to prevent scarring.

|