iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDermatologyskin routineI am looking for guidelines on effective skin-care routine. Kindly suggest.

What does an effective skin-care routine involve?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At April 17, 2024
Reviewed AtApril 17, 2024

Patient's Query

I am a 37-year-old female. I am looking for guidance on establishing an effective skincare routine.

1. What are the essential steps to include in a daily regimen for healthy skin?

2. Additionally, I would appreciate suggestions for products suitable for my skin type. How can I accurately determine my skin type (like oily, dry, or combination) and tailor my skincare routine accordingly?

3. What are the best practices for sun protection?

4. Could you recommend specific sunscreen products or guidelines to ensure adequate protection from harmful UV rays?

5. Are there effective strategies or products to maintain skin health and slow down the effects of aging?

Kindly suggest.

I have gone through the details provided from your end and understand your concern. Basic skin is of three different types as follows:

1. Oily Skin: Extreme oil and sebum secretion was noticed on the skin within one to two hours of washing the face leading to on and off acne and white and blackheads.

2. Dry Skin: White patchy and itchy red skin with symptoms of stretch felt on the skin.

3. Combination Skin: Oily appearance along the nose and across the forehead with dry patches on the cheeks and chin areas

Skincare routine and products for each skin type:

For oily skin:

• Step 1: Use foaming cleanser to be used twice daily. Apply one to two pumps on the entire face, massage gently in circular motions for one minute, and wash off. The best products are Salicylic acid and Glycolic acid foaming face wash.

• Step 2: Apply vitamin C serum one or two drops if good to reduce chances of acne. The best product would be any vitamin C drops or vitamin C serum with natural ingredients and properties.

• Step 3: Use silicone gel-based non-comedogenic and paraben-free moisturizer and sunscreen.

For dry skin:

• Step 1: Use milk-based or gel-based cleansers once or twice daily.

• Step 2: Apply vitamin C serum along with hyaluronic acid B5 serum in three to four drops may be used daily twice.

• Step 3: Moisturizer is very important for dry skin. Glycerin creams like face moist cream or moisturizer are good.

• Step 4: Use lotion-based sunscreens and hydrate sunscreens.

For combination skin:

• Step 1: Use a gel-based face wash like Salicylic acid and Glycolic acid advanced gel face wash would be a better option to be used twice daily.

• Step 2: Use vitamin C serum or drops for the morning and the ordinary niacinamide zinc serum may be used at night.

• Step 3: Moisturizer is optional. However, face moist cream may be used when skin feels dry.

• Step 4: Use silicone gel-based non-comedogenic and paraben-free moisturizer and sunscreen.

Sun protection may require the following:

1. Use physical protection like caps, goggles, full-sleeve shirts, masks, and so on as much as possible when outdoors.

2. Avoid direct sun exposure.

3. Sunscreens like mineral and chemical sunscreen combinations may be used every two hours on all exposed areas of the face and body.

4. Sunscreens need to be used from 9 am to 5 pm. They may need to be applied 20 minutes before going outdoors.

It is also suggested to use sunscreens indoors and outdoors since UV (ultraviolet) radiations from LED (light-emitting diode) lights, mobile lights, and laptop screens may also penetrate during long hours of exposure.

I hope you find this information useful.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty
Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

Venereology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Dermatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy