Q. I got a skin tag that later multiplied and looks very odd. Should I get it removed?

Dr. Snehal Laul
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

The skin tag started two weeks ago, multiplied, and looks very odd. Not sure if it is just irritated or if I should be concerned. Should I get a skin tag checked?

#

1. Do you have excess skin tags on the body?
  2. Do you experience friction between the skin surfaces?
  3. Are you insulin resistance?
  4. Are you obese?
  5. Do you have any hormonal imbalance or fluctuations?
  6. Do you have any hormonal changes?
  7. What is your pregnancy status?
  8. Do you have multiple skin tags on your body?
  9. Do you have any surgical history?

Risk factors of skin tags are overweight, a family member with skin tags, type 2 diabetes, and HPV (Human papillomavirus) infection.

The skin tag is a harmless benign tumor (1 mm to 5 mm).

But, biopsy should be done to rule out other skin conditions.

Thank you for your reply.

I attached a picture for you to see. I am not sure it is a skin tag. It is 10 mm long. I do not have HPV or diabetes. I am not pregnant; periods and hormones are normal. It is on my back, so friction is there between the skin surfaces. I did not have any surgeries in the past. I do not have excess skin tags; I only have two.

#

Biopsy should be done to rule out malignancy. Histopathology reports will tell whether the growth is benign or malignant. Painless growth can be malignant. Painful lesions are usually of benign infective etiology, which can be treated. Tablet Emanzen D (Diclofenac and Serratiopeptidase) twice daily for three days (if it pains). Malignant lesions will require surgical excision under local anesthesia. Early attention is needed. Get it checked from the nearby doctor. Adequate clinical examination and surgical opinions are required. Palpation of the lesion to see whether it is tender, firm, soft, or hard inconsistency? It can be a benign cystic swelling or lesion. A biopsy is needed to rule out malignancy and other skin disorders.

|