Q. I have tags on my penis, which are flexible and painless. Are they genital warts?

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I was sexually assaulted last year. I got tested for all STDs, and everything came back negative. I also have type 1 diabetes with skin issues. I have some skin tags on my penis, and I showed my condition to a clinic, and the doctor told me that it is just skin tags. These tags are painless and look like little balls of skin that are flexible. I have had these tags for years, and they have not moved or grown, or disappeared within the year. But I used an online application to show my skin condition, and they told me that it is genital warts. So I thought to send a photo and video to you. This is driving my brain crazy, and I do not want any generic answers. Thank you.

#

Thank you for the query. I have gone through the photos and details (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If they are movable and flexible, the lesion may be due to skin tags, as mentioned in case details. But warts also have to be ruled out. The differential diagnosis will always be there with such appearances in both scenarios. Anyway, you can go for its removal in your clinical setting. You can discuss with your doctor regarding different methods of its removal. They can send the biopsy specimen for histopathology to confirm the diagnosis too. This will give the final diagnosis.

Thank you for the quick reply. If you were to choose, which would you have selected, skin tags or warts? If it is incorrect, that is okay, but I would like your honest opinion. With all of these, I can pull, and they are very flexible. But I understand that I need to get a biopsy, but could you tell me what you best think they look like.

#

Thank you for the follow-up query. In my opinion, it may be due to skin tags with given details. But better go for a biopsy to be relieved from your anxiety.

|