Q. I wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air and have a tingling feeling in my arms and legs. Why?

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I wake up in the night feeling like I am gasping for air with my heart racing. I also experience tingling in my arms or legs at the same time with ringing in my ears. This happens on average once a week. I have to find a light switch quickly to calm down and realize what is going on. The sensations only last a minute. Is this sleep apnea? What is going on? I am a 33-year-old healthy, slim, nonsmoker. I use to have this very periodically ten years ago, no symptom for ten years, and have recently re-appeared. Kindly help me.

#

I understand your concern and will help you regarding it. Sleep apnea is possible with the symptoms you have mentioned, but a polysomnogram (sleep study) is required for an appropriate diagnosis. This test comprises multiple components that electronically send and records specific physical activities while one is asleep. Sleep specialist analyses the results to find out if you have sleep apnea or some other type of sleep disorder. This study can be carried out at your own home as well, and you do not necessarily need to get admitted to a sleep center. Additionally, I suggest you avoid any caffeine or alcohol atleast four hours before going to bed and avoid electronic gadgets atleast one hour before going to bed. Try indulging in relaxing breathing exercises and manage your stress levels.

I hope this was helpful, take care.

|