HomeAnswersSleep Medicinesleep deprivationI have sleep issues. Please suggest lifestyle changes.

Can a regular sleep schedule and lifestyle changes improve sleep health?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 27, 2023
Reviewed AtOctober 27, 2023

Patient's Query

I am a 28-year-old female. I have been experiencing difficulties falling asleep and often wake up feeling tired. What are some effective strategies or lifestyle changes I can adopt to promote better sleep patterns and overall sleep health? Can you provide insights on how to improve the quality of my sleep?

I understand your concern. Improving sleep patterns and overall sleep health is important for your well-being. Here are some insights on how to improve the quality of your sleep:

1. Stick to a consistent sleep schedule: Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends. This helps regulate your body's internal clock and promotes better sleep.
  2. Create a sleep-friendly environment: Make sure your bedroom is cool, dark, and quiet. Consider using earplugs, eye masks, or white noise machines if needed. Invest in a comfortable mattress, pillows, and bedding that suit your preferences.
  3. Establish a bedtime routine: Engage in relaxing activities before bed to signal to your body that it is time to wind down. This could include reading a book, taking a warm bath, practicing relaxation techniques, or listening to calming music.
  4. Limit exposure to screens before bed: The blue light emitted by electronic devices can interfere with your sleep. Avoid using smartphones, tablets, computers, or watching television at least an hour before bed.
  5. Avoid stimulating substances: Limit or avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol, especially close to bedtime. These substances can disrupt your sleep patterns.
  6. Exercise regularly: Engaging in regular physical activity can promote better sleep. However, try to avoid intense exercise close to bedtime, as it may make it harder to fall asleep.
  7. Manage stress and anxiety: Practice stress management techniques, such as deep breathing exercises, meditation, or journaling, to help calm your mind before bed. If you find it difficult to manage stress on your own, consider seeking support from a therapist or counselor.
  8. Create a comfortable sleep environment: Ensure your bedroom is well-ventilated, at a comfortable temperature, and free from distractions. Use blackout curtains or an eye mask to block out any unwanted light.
  9. Avoid napping late in the day: If you struggle with falling asleep at night, try to limit or avoid napping in the late afternoon or evening. If you do need to nap, keep it short (around 20 to 30 minutes) and earlier in the day.
  10. Evaluate your sleep habits: Keep a sleep diary to track your sleep patterns, including the time you go to bed, wake up, and any factors that may affect your sleep. This can help identify patterns or triggers that may be impacting your sleep quality.

I hope you find these methods helpful.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Vandana Andrews
Dr. Vandana Andrews

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Sleep Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy