Q. Will Zopiclone prescribed for sleep intervene with birth control medication?

Dr. Bharat Udey
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 23, 2020

I am a master's student currently writing a thesis. As this is a stressful time for me, my sleep is the first thing being affected. For the past two to three weeks, I have had sleepless nights, restless sleep, and waking up in the middle of the night averaging about two to three hours of proper sleep per night.

During that time I had been taking Valerian root to help me sleep, except recently, it seems its potency has worn off, or my body has become used to its effects. A doctor prescribed me Zimovane (Zopiclone) for sleep but did not ask about prescriptions I am currently taking. Does Zopiclone have any effects on birth control prescriptions? Particularly Rigevidon?

#

Zopiclone is a nonbenzodiazepine hypnotic agent, helps in maintaining sleep, long acting, reduces the number of awakenings, improves the quality of sleep and has minimal abuse potential. The usual dose is 7.5 mg 15-20 minutes before sleeping, and should not be used for more than four weeks. As such Zopiclone has no metabolic interaction with birth control pills, so you can continue to have them even on Zopiclone.

However, if you want to conceive, then you should not take Zopiclone, as it can lead to withdrawal symptoms in neonates. Hence if on birth control pills, you can continue to have Zopiclone for about four weeks, after which you should seek an opinion from a concerned psychiatrist.

Burnout.

Insomnia (primary).

Zopiclone 7.5 mg.

Sleep hygiene. Avoid stimulants at late night.

Follow up after two weeks. Take oral medications continuously.

|