Sleep Paralysis

Why do I get irresistible sleep attack during day time with sleep paralysis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have daily sleep attacks during the day (irresistible sleep attacks) and before I fall to sleep I see things like I am dreaming but I knew I am awake. At night, before I fall asleep I have multiple episodes of sleep paralysis. Sometimes in every morning, I have sleep attacks and I f...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Psychiatrist, Psychotherapist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Irresistible sleep attacks during daytime are called narcolepsy. They are usually considered harmful and should be treated with stimulant drugs. Amphetamines are used to treat them. Sleep paralysis is also treated with antidepressant medicines and Benzodiazepines. U...  Read Full »

I dream strange things during sleep paralysis. Is it normal?

Query: Hello doctor,I have started having sleep paralysis four years back. Back then, I was able to open my eyes and was not able to move my body and speak. Whenever I used to have sleep paralysis, I used to see people torturing me. As if they are trying to harm and kill me. When I first had sleep paralysi...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be frightening to experience sleep paralysis but generally it is not harmful and can occur in otherwise healthy people. It is common to have hallucinatory experiences like seeing people who wish to harm you when you have sleep paralysis. Do you have any other ...  Read Full »

I have serious sleep paralysis with shortness of breath. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having serious sleep paralysis. In it I feel like I can move my muscle a bit like slightly moving my finger or speaking short words like "maa". But I think I am hallucinating that too. Plus I am having acute bronchitis in this case and have to breathe through the mouth. So I have...  Read Full »

Dr. Sunil Sekhri

General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As far as your bronchitis is concerned, I advise my patients to avoid smoking and take steam inhalation twice a day. I also advise syrup Phensedyl BR (Ambroxol and Guaifenesin) 2.5 ml twice a day for five days and tablet Allegra M one tablet at night for five days. If ...  Read Full »

I have sharp stabbing headaches, which get worse after exercise. Should I go to a doctor?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old girl, who weighs 140 lbs and I am 5.7 feet tall. I get sharp stabbing headaches, which get worse after exercise. I also feel a less intense pressure throughout my head. I have this problem from the past four years, and they are getting worse. When I am stressed, I g...  Read Full »

Dr. Rares Chinezu

Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for the query. The signs you described are non-specific but should be checked. Especially, if headaches are followed with vomiting, you had multiple prescription glasses changed rapidly, loss of smell, and have trouble expressing verbally. There are quite a ...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for sleep paralysis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old male, who weighs 70 kg and I am 5.6 feet tall. I am having a lot of problems while waking up in the morning. I cannot move my body when I get up in the morning. It happens when I have a disturbed sleep. One of my friend, who is not a physician and a patient of sleep ...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you. Your condition is not "paralysis." It is likely to be a sleep disorder called sleep paralysis. First and foremost, maintain a natural circadian rhythm. This means that you...  Read Full »

How to get treated for sleep paralysis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I am a working woman. I am facing sleep paralysis frequently from the last two months. Sometimes, it happens on consecutive days. I have faced this earlier also, but then it was very rare once in six months or once in a year. It always happens in the morning t...  Read Full »

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sleep paralysis is not a disease. It is the transition that happens during various stages of sleep. Usually, if you do not have any other symptoms apart from this, then you do not require any imaging. In case, you experience any other symptoms, then you have to be inves...  Read Full »