Sleep Study

Is the lack of sleep for years being in a navy submarine the reason for my sleep disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I worked in the navy submarine for four years, and I did not get any proper sleep for years. I have had two sleep studies and MLST. The first study shows N3 as 3.1%, and the second study shows N3 as 1.8%. MLST results were 6.7 minutes of sleep latency and 1 REM cycle. I am taking an...  Read Full »

Dr. Florilyn Joyce Bentrez-cabanilla

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to icliniq.com. Thank you for the query. Kindly answer the following; 1) Do you drink alcohol, caffeine, or other drugs? 2) Is there any pain or discomfort? 3) Do you take daytime naps? 4) Can you stop Modafinil for now? 5) Do you feel depressed? Thanks.  Read Full »

What are the main causes for cognitive dulling?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 34 years male. I take Ramipril 5 mg and Insulin. I have asthma, and I am allergic to dust, mites, and grass. I get brain fog with sudden cognitive deficits at night for six years. I am unable to memorize or remember things. My vision has reduced, and I feel like I am drunk as I d...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A couple of differential diagnoses could be causing your problems of low resilience, brain fog, and tiredness. 1) Depression can present with symptoms such as low energy, motivation, and cognitive dulling. Besides, it is often co-morbid with anxiety and panic disor...  Read Full »

Why am I getting excessive sleepiness during day time even after having full night sleep?

Query: Hi doctor, I have excessive sleepiness throughout the day eventhough I get a full night sleep. I have this problem for many years. I cannot understand my sleep study result. Kindly explain it.   Read Full »

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your sleep study suggests that you do not have obstructive sleep apnea. Your REM (rapid eye movement) sleep (a phase of sleep during which you dream) is less than normal. You have multiple episodes of waking during the night and your sleep is not continuous. Both these ...  Read Full »

Can mouth guard prevent snoring?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34-year-old male. My weight is 105 kg. I snore a lot during winters, and it disturbs the sleep of my family as well. I had been trying to lose weight but not successful. I read that mouthguard can help in reducing the snoring. Please advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Snoring is a problem that may be associated with other symptoms of sleep apnea. There can be several causes of snoring, which include obstruction right from the nose to the throat. If you do not have other sleep apnea symptoms, snoring may be attended to by simple me...  Read Full »

What should I do to correct my sleep apnea with high BP?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 51-year-old male. I am a former athlete and continue to lift five to six days a week. Last year, I was diagnosed with high BP (175/115). This was due to TRT, which I immediately stopped (it has been a year since I have used any TRT). I was on Amlodipine 5 mg, yet that did not h...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, looking at your weight, it is a possibility that you have sleep apnea issues. I suppose with home sleep study, the doctor should be able to start a medicine. Mattresses usually do not matter, but yes, you should avoid using a pillow because that inclination ...  Read Full »

Why do I feel hard to sleep at night?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having trouble with sleeping at night. I feel exhausted all day. I do not understand the reason. Can you help me?  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. Disturbed sleep at night can be due to many reasons. If you are having any kind of mental stress or anxiety, then it can cause disturbed sleep at night. Other causes are sleep disorders, obstructive s...  Read Full »

How is obstructive sleep apnea treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea and secondary pulmonary hypertension two years back. I am using a CPAP but, not too regularly now. When sleeping, I often feel a blockage of my air passage, especially while exhaling, as if suddenly clogged by some tissues. This would repeat...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We need to find your apnea score. You must have done polysomnography before using the CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine. Kindly share the reports so that we can know your apnea score. OSA (obstructive sleep apnea) can be treated by the surgical removal...  Read Full »

A recent sleep study showed 14+ sleep fragmentation in an hour. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 46 year old female, who weighs 170 lbs and is 5.4 feet tall. I have symptoms of chronic fatigue. I had a sleep study recently that showed I have intrusion in every stage of sleep, and I have sleep fragmentation that occurs 14+ times an hour. My sleep doctor did not seem to think t...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Udey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sleep itself is a complex phenomenon, which is regulated by multiple mechanisms. As per your sleep study records, which have pointed out fragmentation of your sleep cycle, yes, these fragmentations do have an effect on your physical and mental health. Fragmented sleep ...  Read Full »

I often wake up at 3 AM dreaming about a woman I do not know. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I do not know whether this query is relevant here, but I am vexed seeing a woman in my dreams for many years. I do not know what she looks like. I never saw her facial features but noticed that she is of an average physique. She does not leave me, and sometimes I am even scared of her....  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Even though you see that particular dream when you feel calm, relaxed and peaceful, in reality, you are probably having some subconscious anxiety which is resulting in dreams of a particular type which are scary. Dreams and anxiety are in...  Read Full »