Q. Though I get good night sleep, I suffer with excessive sleepiness during day time. Why?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

I have excessive sleepiness throughout the day eventhough I get a full night sleep. I have this problem for many years. I cannot understand my sleep study result. Kindly explain it.

#

Your sleep study suggests that you do not have obstructive sleep apnea. Your REM (rapid eye movement) sleep (a phase of sleep during which you dream) is less than normal. You have multiple episodes of waking during the night and your sleep is not continuous. Both these findings can be explained by the drugs that you are taking. Antidepressants like Pristiq or Zoloft are known to disrupt sleep and cause frequent awakenings at night. Your sleep study report is close to normal.

I am taking Zoloft recently. I am taking Pristiq for a couple of months. But I have these symptoms for years and never taken these medications.

#

Your day of a sleep study, fragmented sleep and less dream sleep on the night are affected due to Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) taken. I understand that your problem of day time sleepiness is chronic. It is not only because of Pristiq. It is not because of sleep abnormality (your sleep study is almost normal). There are other causes of daytime sleepiness like sleeping sickness, depression, or some inflammatory or neurological disorders. You need to be investigated separately for these disorders. I hope this clears your doubt. Regards.

|