Q. What is the reason for my reduced N3 stage in the sleep study?

Dr. Florilyn Joyce Chulsi Bentrez

I worked in the navy submarine for four years, and I did not get any proper sleep for years. I have had two sleep studies and MLST. The first study shows N3 as 3.1%, and the second study shows N3 as 1.8%. MLST results were 6.7 minutes of sleep latency and 1 REM cycle. I am taking antidepressants for the past seven weeks.

What is preventing me from achieving a good N3 sleep?

Thanks.

#

Thank you for the query.

Kindly answer the following;

1) Do you drink alcohol, caffeine, or other drugs?

2) Is there any pain or discomfort?

3) Do you take daytime naps?

4) Can you stop Modafinil for now?

5) Do you feel depressed?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

I do not drink alcohol. I consume caffeine once daily. And I struggled to stay awake during the day to sleep at night. And I was diagnosed with hypersomnia after my MLST. I started taking the tablet Modafinil to help combat daytime sleepiness.

Thanks.

#

I suggest you expose yourself to sunlight during the daytime. If you do not get feasible light, then consider staying under artificial bright light. Eat an apple in the morning to wake you up and boost your mood. And kindly do not take daytime naps.

For severe anxiety, I suggest you take tablet Pregabalin in the evening.

Take care.

|