Slipping Rib

Can you dislocate your rib by accidentally pushing it?

Query: Hi doctor, I accidentally pushed my rib and felt it move. Now it looks more to the side than my left side. Did I dislocate it? I feel a kind of discomfort.  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did you feel a click or popping like sound when that happened? Is there any pain or swelling? Does it pain on a deep breath or while coughing? Is there any discomfort or difficulty in breathing? If your answer to all these questions is no, then no worries. If t...  Read Full »

What are the causes of slipping rib?

Query: Hi doctor, I have one rib out of its place. I think it is third or fourth one next to my sternum. Once a doctor put it back but it has slipped out again. Can you guide me through this?  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In many cases a rib slips out of place because the ligaments that hold the ribs to the sternum and the sternocostal ligaments are weak. Without muscles to hold the ribs in place loose ligaments allow slipping of the rib, which causes further stretching of the lig...  Read Full »

Is stiffness in thoracic area during movement a serious problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I had this stiffness, almost something pushing in my left thoracic area just under my shoulder blade, for the past six months and I feel it most when I am moving my left arm forward or keeping it forward or upward for some time (like for example when I wash plates). It is not painful,...  Read Full »

Dr. James F Geiselman

Chiropractor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your question. After reading your post, I immediately thought you might have a rib subluxation. This is very common with scoliosis (I myself have frequent rib issues). Since you know you have scoliosis, this will explain why this issue appears to be chro...  Read Full »