Q. What can cause slipping rib?

Dr. Vandana Andrews
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

I have one rib out of its place. I think it is third or fourth one next to my sternum. Once a doctor put it back but it has slipped out again. Can you guide me through this?

#

• In many cases a rib slips out of place because the ligaments that hold the ribs to the sternum and the sternocostal ligaments are weak.
  • Without muscles to hold the ribs in place loose ligaments allow slipping of the rib, which causes further stretching of the ligament, resulting in severe pain.
  • A simple coughing attack due to a cold may cause the development of slipping rib syndrome.
  • Conditions such as bronchitis, emphysema, allergies and asthma cause additional stress to the sternocostal and costochondral junctions.
  • Even sinusitis with its associated nose blowing can be the initial event that leads to chronic chest pain from slipping rib syndrome.

For further information consult a chiropractor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/chiropractor

|