Q. I accidentally pushed my rib, which looks more to the left now? Did I dislocate it?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I accidentally pushed my rib and felt it move. Now it looks more to the side than my left side. Did I dislocate it? I feel a kind of discomfort.

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• Did you feel a click or popping like sound when that happened?
  • Is there any pain or swelling?
  • Does it pain on a deep breath or while coughing?
  • Is there any discomfort or difficulty in breathing?

If your answer to all these questions is no, then no worries. If the answer to any of these is yes, please get an x-ray chest done to assess the movement's location and extent. This will also help to rule out any fracture, if at all any. It is difficult to determine without comparing it to the left side (though you have shared (attachment removed to protect patient identity) the affected side). In the meantime, if it is hurting a lot, simple painkillers like Aceclofenac will help relieve pain. Do take rest, avoid lifting heavy objects, avoid exercising for the time being. Most of the time, such conditions will settle with time. I hope this helps. If required, we can connect over again for further assessment and possible treatment. Take care.

| 

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

Yes, I felt a clicking and popping sound and just felt a little bit of weird pain. I have no pain while taking a deep breath, and I do not think I am having difficulty breathing. See the other pictures of how it looks.

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

#

Those are welcome signs that you do not have any red flags that warrant urgent intervention. It looks like a slight deviation. Because it involves lower ribs, it should not be a major concern. Please follow the advice from me mentioned before and take Aceclofenac tablet twice daily for three days. It should settle. If pain persists after, it is better to get an x-ray of the chest done to rule out a fracture. I hope this helps.

Take care.

|