iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPsychiatrysmartwatchDoes radiation from a smartwatch harm my 10-year-old son?

Could a smartwatch's radiation negatively affect a 10-year-old's health?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 1, 2024
Reviewed AtJune 1, 2024

Patient's Query

My 10-year-old son is very fond of wearing a smartwatch, but I am worried about its effect on his health and brain due to radiation exposure. Could the radiation emitted by the smartwatch affect his health? I would also like to know how to make sure that he uses the smartwatch in a healthy manner. My son also struggles with his studies. While he performs well in exams when he prepares properly, he lacks the motivation or fear of exams to study consistently on his own. How can we make him responsible enough to study independently and take his exams more seriously? Please help.

I can understand your concern.

It is understandable to have concerns about your son's health and smartwatch usage. Smartwatches emit very low levels of non-ionizing radiation, which are generally considered safe. However, it is essential to follow recommended guidelines for healthy usage, such as limiting screen time and taking breaks.

You should encourage him to follow the below guidelines to help your son healthily use his smartwatch:

1. Encourage breaks: Encourage your son to take breaks from his smartwatch and engage in physical activities or hobbies.
  2. Limit screen time: Set specific limits on how much time he can spend using the smartwatch each day.
  3. Night mode: Consider enabling a night mode on the smartwatch to reduce exposure to blue light, which can affect sleep patterns.
  4. Maintain distance: Advise your son to maintain some distance from the smartwatch when not in use.

Regarding your son's academic performance, instilling fear in exams may not be the most effective approach. Instead, focus on fostering a positive attitude towards learning and studying. I would suggest the following tips to help him take responsibility for his studies:

1. Create a study routine: Establish a consistent study schedule and encourage your son to stick to it.
  2. Set goals: Help your son set achievable academic goals and celebrate his progress.
  3. Provide support: Offer assistance with difficult subjects and provide resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.
  4. Encourage self-assessment: Teach your son to assess his understanding of topics and identify areas where he needs to improve.
  5. Positive reinforcement: Praise your son for his efforts and improvements rather than focusing solely on exam results.

By promoting a positive attitude towards learning and providing support, you can help your son develop effective study habits and take responsibility for his academic success.

I hope this information helps you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Psychiatry

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Psychiatry

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy