Q. I worry that social anxiety will be a hindrance to achieving my dreams. Please help.

Dr. Parth Nagda
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 10, 2020

I searched the symptoms of social anxiety online and I think I have it. I am a student and it has been affecting my daily life, especially my school life. I struggle to have new friends and do tasks that require social interaction like class presentations. I tried changing my behavior, tried making new friends, talk to people but it only ended up in vain. I thought that if I can't change myself now, what about the future? I worry that social anxiety will be a hindrance of achieving my dreams. If I'm not going to be successful in life, I might as well end this now to not be a burden to the people around me. But I hope that that's not the only solution, doc. Please help me.

Dr. Parth Nagda

Psychiatry
#

Hello. Thank you for your query This is very common and about 10-15 percent of people have this problem. It is also very easily treatable. You will need to visit a psychiatrist and he will prescribe you SSRI type of medicines (such as escitalopram 10mg, or fluoxetine 20mg etc.) which will help with your problem. It basically happens when some neurotransmitters such as serotonin reduce in your brain leading to a problem with handling the day to day stresses of life. Medicines are usually given for 2-4 months and then tapered off slowly and stopped. In addition to the medicines, you can also undergo a few sessions of cognitive behavioral therapy from a clinical psychologist. Also do consider doing deep breathing exercises or progressive muscle relaxation daily.

T. Escitalopram 10mg once at night for 30 days

| 

What is the recommended dose of Inderal for social anxiety disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I was affected by a social anxiety disorder. In the past two years, first, I used Inderal for one year and then Paroxetine 20 mg (SSRI) tablets. There was the best improvement in my confidence. Now from the last two weeks, I have not taken any happen. Do I want to use Inderal tablets ...  Read Full »

Will my anxiety relapse if I stop SSRI?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male who was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and social anxiety, eight years back. Initially, I was prescribed Paxil 20 mg, which helped treat my anxiety and depression but I started having side effects of weight gain, fatigue, and sexual dysfunction. When I st...  Read Full »

I suffer from bipolar 2, OCD and social anxiety disorder and medicines are not working. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I suffer from bipolar 2 disorder as well as OCD and social anxiety disorder. I have tried almost all SSRIs, and SNRIs and neither of them have worked for me (for the last 2 1/2 years). I believe that I have treatment-resistant depression because all the medicines are not working. Curr...  Read Full »