Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. How to overcome my low confidence, and poor concentration?

Answered by
Dr. Shubham Mehta
and medically reviewed by Dr.Nithila A
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 25, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am a 26-year-old male. I have shyness in public, low confidence, and poor concentration in studies with anxiety, escaping attitude. I am afraid of driving alone and have a fear of giving interviews.

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine


Welcome to

The symptoms you have mentioned are low confidence, shyness in public, escaping attitude, fear of interviews. These symptoms point towards a diagnosis of social phobia. The most studied and most effective treatment for phobias is behavior therapy. A variety of behavioral treatment techniques have been used, the most common being systematic desensitization. In this method, the client is exposed serially to a predetermined list of anxiety-provoking stimuli graded in a hierarchy from the least to the most frightening. Through the use of anti-anxiety drugs and instruction in muscle relaxation, clients are taught how to induce in themselves both mental and physical relaxation.

Once they have mastered the techniques, clients are taught to use them to induce relaxation in the face of each anxiety-provoking stimulus. As they become desensitized to each stimulus in the scale, the patients move up to the next stimulus until, ultimately, what previously produced the most anxiety no longer elicits the painful effect. Effective drugs for the treatment of social phobia include

(1) Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like Paroxetine or Escitalopram.

(2) The Benzodiazepines like Ativan or Rivotril.

Another option is to take tablet Beta cap 20 mg 30 minutes before you are going to face an anxiety-provoking situation. Please visit your nearest psychiatrist for proper evaluation and treatment.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Please suggest the best drug for GAD and social phobia. What are its side effects?
Is there any way to tackle my concentration problem?
Will in-patient treatment for young adults help for ADHD and social phobia?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I am sensitive and fear socializing with people. Is there any effective medication?

Query: Hello doctor, I am realizing that I am an extremely sensitive person. I fear socializing with people. I think too much about what people think about me. There is a lot of fear within me. When people scold me, I take it too deeply and even my mouth vibrates. It is conspicuously visible. I have a lot ...  Read Full »

I am not able to concentrate in studies as before. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years old. I was excellent at studies. But, now, I am not able to concentrate on books. I feel like I have lost the power of memory. I do not remember even very small things. I have developed some bad habits like chewing papers, the inner side of lips, inner side of cheeks, etc. ...  Read Full »

After drinking beer, my brain works fast. How?

Query: Hi doctor, My brain is not working properly. I have very poor concentration power. I am taking a long time to learn any kind of things in comparison to others. When I drink beer, my brain will work very fast for two to three days and I can do much work easily. Please suggest the medicine to improve ...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.