Q. Do sore throat and blocked nose mean I am COVID positive?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

I have had a sore throat and blocked nose for the past couple of days, and it is getting worse. It all started with a mild cough, and it is throughout the day. I lost smell and taste yesterday night, but today, I have them. Currently, I am taking Paracetamol and some other medications for my sore throat, but it did not help. I do have sinus infections periodically. Kindly help.

#

I can understand your concern. The symptoms you have can be due to COVID-19 or viral/bacterial sinusitis with pharyngitis. For COVID, I suggest getting RT-PCR (reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction) done and isolating yourself till the reports come. I suggest tablet Vitamin C, tablet Zinc, and tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once daily.

Since COVID is down in most parts of the world, and common flu is on surge nowadays, there are possibilities of you having viral/bacterial sinusitis with pharyngitis. I suggest:

1) Tablet Azithromycin 500 mg.

2) Anti-allergic like tablet Montelukast and Fexofenadine.

3) Tablet Sinarest (Chlorpheniramine, Paracetamol, and Phenylephrine).

I hope you get well soon.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|