Q. I am having a sore throat with redness and white spot. Please help.

Dr. Nicole Taleon
This is a premium question & answer published on May 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 28, 2020

I am currently having a sore throat. As I checked, it is a bit red and saw a white dot. Please help.

#

Thank you for attaching a photo because that really helps. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your throat does appear red but your tonsils do not appear swollen so it is unlikely to be tonsillitis. Most of the time this is just due to a viral infection that will get better on its own without medication. Healing usually takes about five to seven days. As long as you are able to eat, drink, and remain without fever, just allow your body to heal naturally.

If the sore throat is only getting worse to a point you are unable to swallow anymore due to pain, and you are having a fever of temperature 37.9 and above, you might need to see a doctor in person to have it examined and prescribe you antibiotics.

Viral.

Supportive management only. Drink lots of water.
Take Paracetamol every 4 hours as needed for pain, Difflam lozenges every six hours, Bactidol gargle three times a day after meals.

Regular handwashing.

If the throat pain is getting progressively worse until a point that you cannot swallow any food due to pain, or if having fever, you will need antibiotics.
Feel free to follow up with me in 3-5 days time regarding your progress.

|