Q. I am having a sore throat with redness and white spot. Please help.

Dr. Nicole Taleon
This is a premium question & answer published on May 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 28, 2020

I am currently having a sore throat. As I checked, it is a bit red and saw a white dot. Please help.

Dr. Nicole Taleon

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Thank you for attaching a photo because that really helps. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your throat does appear red but your tonsils do not appear swollen so it is unlikely to be tonsillitis. Most of the time this is just due to a viral infection that will get better on its own without medication. Healing usually takes about five to seven days. As long as you are able to eat, drink, and remain without fever, just allow your body to heal naturally.

If the sore throat is only getting worse to a point you are unable to swallow anymore due to pain, and you are having a fever of temperature 37.9 and above, you might need to see a doctor in person to have it examined and prescribe you antibiotics.

Viral.

Supportive management only. Drink lots of water.
Take Paracetamol every 4 hours as needed for pain, Difflam lozenges every six hours, Bactidol gargle three times a day after meals.

Regular handwashing.

If the throat pain is getting progressively worse until a point that you cannot swallow any food due to pain, or if having fever, you will need antibiotics.
Feel free to follow up with me in 3-5 days time regarding your progress.

| 

Paracetamol tablets for tooth pain

Query: Hello Doctor, Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?  Read Full »

Is diarrhea in a baby due to viral infection?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 1 year and 10 months old. Two weeks ago, she had severe diarrhea and around her thighs and around her genitals, there was inflammation. The doctor says that because diarrhea is a type of virus and inflammation of the fungus. The doctor prescribed Clotrimazole and burns ointmen...  Read Full »

Can soreness in throat and skin redness after sex be due to HIV infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years old white male, I had protected intercourse vaginal and anal and unprotected oral sex, vaginal and anal exactly 17 days back. Eight days after I had an itch in my throat that practically made the corner of my mouth pucker for a day or two and lost my appetite. Around the...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now