Q. I have deviated nasal septum with persistent nasal drip and throat irritation. How to get rid of it?

Dr. Prathish Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 29, 2020

I had a sore throat and fever four months ago. I took some antibiotics (Cebosh) referred by an ENT and the sore throat went away. But I have a constant nasal dripping and throat clearing since then somedays it is more and some days it is normal. I can see mucus in my throat and it looks irritated. I have no fever, no body pain, and no shortness of breath. I have a severely deviated septum too. What can I do to get rid of it?

Dr. Prathish Kumar

#

As per your description, you are having a deviated nasal septum (DNS). Your continuous presence of mucus in the nose and throat clearing is because of sinusitis which is a common consequence of your deviated septum.

I have given some tablets try using those. If not relieved you should nasal sprays, but they contain steroids. Steroids are not advocated during this COVID season. So it is best to avoid the nasal spray at present. And regularly have steam inhalation.

DNS with chronic sinusitis.

Karvol plus capsule for steam inhalation, tablet Montelukast 10 mg twice daily for two weeks, Cetirizine 10 mg + Phenylephrine 10 mg twice daily for two weeks.

Cover your nose while going out. Avoid dust exposure.

|