Q. Is it possible to have white spots even after I finished the antibiotics?

Dr. J. N. Naidu
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 14, 2021 and last reviewed on: Apr 15, 2021

I have felt like there is something in the back of my throat when I swallow (it feels like a popcorn kernel) for the past few days. I saw white spots in my throat. I had white spots before when I had strep throat, but I never felt them when I swallow. I also have no other symptoms of strep. I went to the doctor today, and she said my throat appeared a bit red, and my rapid strep test came back positive. She has put me on Amoxicillin for ten days. I have had strep many times, and I usually have very sore throat aches, upset stomach, exhaustion, etc. This time I have no symptoms except the white spots and the feeling of something in the back of my throat. I am a little tired as well. Is it normal to have strep throat with very few symptoms?

#

Streptococcus infection of the throat is a bacterial infection. The spread of infection occurs by coughing, sneezing, sharing food, etc. It usually causes inflammation and pain in the throat. The severity of symptoms varies from person to person. Some people experience very mild symptoms like a sore throat. But in your case, symptoms are mild. Symptoms are likely to increase if you do not take antibiotics. Amoxycillin or Azithromycin (Zithromax) are usually prescribed. A sore red throat with white patches is characteristic. Headache, chills, loss of appetite, lymph node swelling are common. It is a case of Streptococcal infection for sure.

I am glad to hear that it still sounds like a streptococcal infection to you, even though my symptoms are mild. I will continue to take the Amoxicillin prescribed to me. Do you know how long I can expect the white spots in my throat to last? Is it possible that they may still be there after I finished the antibiotic? If so, do I need to follow up with the doctor or just give them a little time to clear up?

#

By clinical diagnosis, it is obvious that it is a Streptococcal infection. The swab test is confirmatory. For quicker clearing of spots, gargle your mouth regularly with warm salt water at night. This will help in clearing spots and reduce the chances of recurrence of infection. Make sure to brush your teeth at night regularly. Drink adequate water, about 1.5 liters per day. Avoid cold drinks, ice creams. White spots will go away within a week. There is no need to visit the doctor if symptoms disappear. Regularly warm salt water gargling at night is a simple way to prevent recurrence and eliminating the infection. Sometimes white patches may take a longer time to disappear. Amoxycillin may cause diarrhea in some individuals, so you may add a probiotic capsule containing Saccharomyces boulardii one capsule daily at night for two weeks. It reduces the chances of diarrhea and restores gut microflora.

|