Q. What are the home remedies used to treat sore throat?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
Published on Sep 28, 2019

How can we treat a sore throat? Please explain about the OTC medications taken, and the home remedies followed to cure a sore throat.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

These are the home remedies followed to treat a sore throat. Drink a mixture of lukewarm water with honey and lime juice a couple of times a day. It gives immediate relief. Grated ginger with green tea is quite helpful. Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties with a strong taste. It helps to calm a scratchy throat. Aspirin dissolved in warm water and salt water gargling is beneficial. It can be followed for a few days to reduce the inflammation. Do not drink the mixture if you have peptic ulcer disease or any other contraindication to Aspirin. Do warm compress on the neck on the affected side. It helps to alleviate the pain and soreness. Over the counter, Paracetamol can be taken orally twice daily. It helps to reduce inflammation and pain.

Acne - Causes, Types, Home Remedies and Treatment Strategy

Article Overview: Acne is a very common condition encountered among teens and adults. To decide the protocol for the treatment of acne, it is important for us to know the causes, conditions associated, sites of acne, the cause of acne and factors affecting the onset of acne. Many home remedies are helpful in treating acne. Mild and moderate acne can be treated with medication and severe acne with other treatment procedures. Prevention is more important than cure. Read Article

Dr. Archana

Acne is a very common skin condition. It commonly starts during puberty but can occur at any age. Although it is not a dangerous condition, acne can leave scars on the skin. Acne appears in different parts of the body like face, chest, and back. Acne affects almost all teenagers in different severit...  Read Article

I have throat pain and an inability to shout. Could this be due to my thyroid issues?

Query: Hello doctor, My TSH level is 6.52. Can you suggest me a medicine to control it? I feel fatigue and cold intolerance. Also, I have throat pain and inability to shout. Are these because of the thyroid issues?  Read Full »

I have sore throat from two years. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a bad case of sore throat. It has been two years since I have a sore throat. I regularly gargle with hot water or diluted Betadine gargles (Povidone-iodine solution ), but there is no effect. Rather, it has gotten worse.  Read Full »

Ask a Dietician Now