Q. What are the home remedies used to treat sore throat?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

How can we treat a sore throat? Please explain about the OTC medications taken, and the home remedies followed to cure a sore throat.

#

These are the home remedies followed to treat a sore throat. Drink a mixture of lukewarm water with honey and lime juice a couple of times a day. It gives immediate relief. Grated ginger with green tea is quite helpful. Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties with a strong taste. It helps to calm a scratchy throat. Aspirin dissolved in warm water and salt water gargling is beneficial. It can be followed for a few days to reduce the inflammation. Do not drink the mixture if you have peptic ulcer disease or any other contraindication to Aspirin. Do warm compress on the neck on the affected side. It helps to alleviate the pain and soreness. Over the counter, Paracetamol can be taken orally twice daily. It helps to reduce inflammation and pain.

|