Q. What can be done for recurrent sore throat with ear pain?

Published on Nov 25, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

I have had a sore throat for about three weeks now. Two weeks ago I have had strep throat and doctor gave me 10 dose antibiotics but my sore throat came back on my left side and it hurts my ear and throat when I swallow still. What could this be? They did a swab for the throat but no strep but what else is this? I have a minor cough.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

With the conversation I understand that you had suffered sore throat for which swab was done and appropriate antibiotic was initiated. Now again you have developed sore throat, more so on left side, with ear ache while swallowing.

Most probably there is inflammation which has not fully got resolved. Since throat tests are negative, we can conclude that there is no active infection. But infectious products may be remaining causing the body to produce counter products (inflammatory response). The same is causing you the troubles. Since the back of throat is connected to ear through the eustachian tube, it pains in the ear also. The local congestion has blocked the tube impairing normal ventilation and drainage of middle ear.

I suggest you the following which if you take you will find relief. Anti-inflammatory tablets of Trypsin-Chymotrypsin and Rutopside/Bromelain combination, taken before food twice a day for 5 days. Also painkillers Paracetamol/Acetaminophen appropriate dosage will do. To relieve ear ache and eustachian tube obstruction you may use nasal decongestant drops (Xylometazoline). Take three drops in one nostril and lie down with head tilted towards that side ear 45 degres, the drops will percolate inside to the eustachian tube orifice and decongest the same. Repeat the same in other nostril and do this twice daily for 3 or 4 days. Follow it up with steam inhalation. Also use warm saline gargles few times daily as it soothes the area inflamed and help reduce edema and congestion. I would suggest you stop smoking (if you do), avoid spicy foods and take plenty of hot fluids. If still after 5 days of these measures you do not find relief, it is advisable to consult an otolaryngologist.

If you do not find improvement after this then we have to rule out reflux laryngitis, chronic sinusitis and few other conditions which may be triggering constant throat issue in you.

| 

I have ear pain with mild hearing loss and throat pain. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my left ear with mild hearing loss. Sometimes I feel some sort of blocking sensation. Since two days, throat is also paining.  Read Full »

I have sore throat and weight loss. Do I need to test again for STD?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a test for STD and the results came negative for all tests. I received an oral sex from a spa therapist eight weeks ago. I tested for STD at six weeks. But I have a sore throat for one month and there is weight loss. Today I could see tiny rashes on my genitals. I tested again for...  Read Full »

I have sore throat from two years. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a bad case of sore throat. It has been two years since I have a sore throat. I regularly gargle with hot water or diluted Betadine gargles (Povidone-iodine solution ), but there is no effect. Rather, it has gotten worse.  Read Full »