Q. I feel soreness in mouth after an episode of fever and flu. Why?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I got a fever last week. After two days my fever went and I developed flu. Today, I do not have cough no fever no flu but my mouth is sore. Why?

#

According to your statement, you got a fever that subsided after two days and then developed flu and mouth sore. Mouth sore is a common complication of flu. Again mouth sore may develope by a viral infection like herpes simplex virus most commonly fungal infection, nutritional deficiency like iron, zinc, vitamin B12, etc. Some medications like corticosteroid, chemotherapy, sulfa drugs, phenytoin, etc. Autoimmune disorders like lichen planus also.

For your flu-like running nose and body ache you can take anti-histamine, Acetamenofen or Paracetamol, topical antiviral cream, vitamins containing B12 with zinc and iron. If any complications occur or your symptoms do not subside within seven to ten days inform me as soon as possible, I will try to help you further.

What medication will help mouth sour? I am scared about contracting Coronavirus?

#

You are suffering from flu caused by influenza virus and not Covid-19. As you have no high fever (>102°F or=), dry cough followed by severe respiratory distress, headache, loss of taste, loss of smell, etc., you are not even suspected for Covid-19. You can use the medications that are mentioned below.

Gel Benzocaine (Orajel, Orabase) to relieve pain and discomfort. Apply antiseptic gel locally. Use an alcohol-free medicated mouthwash containing Chlorhexidine gluconate. Use a topical steroid mouthwash or ointment. Place milk of magnesia on the affected area.

Use a rinse of saltwater and baking soda. Covering mouth ulcers with baking soda. Applying ice on the affected area. Taking multivitamins including vitamin B12, folic acid, zinc, iron, etc.

|