Soy Milk

Please suggest a lactose-free diet for weight gain.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 29 years old male, who is 5.9 feet tall and weighs 55 kg. I take vegetables, egg, fish but not meat. I am lactose intolerant for the past three years. If I take any milk products, it causes gastritis instantly, and I have to take an antacid. I cannot take whey protein because of thi...  Read Full »

Dr. Durga Kumari

Dietician, Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have mentioned that you are suffering from lactose intolerance, which means a decreased ability to digest milk sugar that is, lactose. You need not worry because you can have soy products like soy milk, tofu, and soy yogurt. Do not take whey protein or any other pr...  Read Full »

What causes lactose intolerance in a baby to mother's milk?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby who is exclusively breastfed has just started her fifth month. For the past four days, she passes frothy liquid motion with little white like substance for a minimum seven times a day. The consultant doctor examined her stool and said that she has got lactose intolerance. He t...  Read Full »

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

General Practitioner, Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through the details you have provided in the query. Lactose intolerance is the absence of lactose enzyme which helps to digest and break down sugars, mainly lactose in the diet. Lactose intolerance is of two types: 1. Primary 2. Secondary. In primary lactose int...  Read Full »

Is it true that dairy products are not good for us? Are the alternatives healthy?

Query: Hello doctor,Should we buy into the idea that dairy is not so great for us? Are the alternatives as healthy as we are led to believe? What about the option of just giving up milk and not trying to replace it with anything, is that a good idea? Do you have advice on choosing the best milk alternative...  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The idea of quitting dairy is quite controversial. There is a lot of debate on this topic. If you are giving up milk products, you might have to replace it with some other form of protein like sprouts, nuts, etc. The alternatives to milk these days are soy milk, alm...  Read Full »

What foods to avoid in serotonin syndrome?

Query: Hello doctor,My 39-year-old son was hospitalized for five days with serotonin syndrome. He was given intravenous and Ativan. He was discharged from the hospital and he will go to his doctor regarding his meds. The problem is he was never told if he needs to stay away from certain foods that might ca...  Read Full »

Dr. Smit Uttam Janrao

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is true that diet is very difficult for patients of serotonin syndrome. But, there are many myths as well about the diet. Most of the cheese and cheese products nowadays are low in tyramine level. So, they are not that harmful. To be called yogurt, milk must be...  Read Full »

My kid has dark stools when she drinks soy milk. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My kid is 19 months old and she has asthma. We are giving her 200 ml of fortified soy milk twice a day as she is not interested in drinking regular milk. She has dark stools when she drinks soy milk. Is it safe to give soy milk to kids?  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is safe to give soy milk to the child as long as she is not known to have any soy-protein allergy. Please check for the iron content of the soy-milk product that you are giving. It most probably must be because of the iron-content of the soy-milk product that t...  Read Full »