Q. How to treat spasmodic dysphonia without surgery?

Dr. Alok Rathi
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 16, 2019

Few years ago, I had spasmodic dysphonia. My voice was husky and high pitched. I took medicines and speech therapy. There was slight improvement in my voice but after that my voice is high pitched. I want deeper voice that is manly voice. What should I do? Is there any way to get deeper voice, except surgery? Please suggest.

#

Spasmodic dysphonia is one of the difficult conditions to treat and patient motivation is most important. Speech therapy is tried always and some benefit is there.

Botox injection in spastic muscle will give best results, but speech therapy has to be followed. Botox has certain duration of action, so the results may last around 6-12 months. In that time, if the cause of spasms is known, that should be tried to be eliminated permanently.

Actually my voice is normal now. But, it is high pitched. So, is there any way to get deeper voice?

#

If your voice is normal but you want to change the pitch, then surgery is the only way for permanent solution. Botox can be tried, but with variable results.

|