Q. How to treat spasmodic dysphonia without surgery?

Dr. Alok Rathi
Published on Feb 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 16, 2019

Few years ago, I had spasmodic dysphonia. My voice was husky and high pitched. I took medicines and speech therapy. There was slight improvement in my voice but after that my voice is high pitched. I want deeper voice that is manly voice. What should I do? Is there any way to get deeper voice, except surgery? Please suggest.

Dr. Alok Rathi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Spasmodic dysphonia is one of the difficult conditions to treat and patient motivation is most important. Speech therapy is tried always and some benefit is there.

Botox injection in spastic muscle will give best results, but speech therapy has to be followed. Botox has certain duration of action, so the results may last around 6-12 months. In that time, if the cause of spasms is known, that should be tried to be eliminated permanently.

Actually my voice is normal now. But, it is high pitched. So, is there any way to get deeper voice?

Dr. Alok Rathi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

If your voice is normal but you want to change the pitch, then surgery is the only way for permanent solution. Botox can be tried, but with variable results.

Why does my 4.3 years old son find it difficult to speak fluently?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 4.3 years old. He sometimes finds it difficult to speak fluently, especially in the beginning of a sentence and when he is excited. Most of the time he speaks the entire sentence very clearly, without any difficulty. I am attaching his audio and video recording clips. Wha...  Read Full >>

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have heard the attached voice recordings (attachment removed to protect patient privacy). The child is stammering. His pronunciation is fine, but the problem is with fluency. It can be due to anxiety. The child might be afraid of performance. There can be psychological...  Read Full

Other than cochlear implant, is there any other way to treat hearing loss in a kid?

Query: Hi doctor, My niece is 4 years old now. A year back we realized that she was not catching up how to speak and consulted an ENT doctor. Doctor performed few tests like BERA, OAE and hearing assessment. Then he confirmed that my niece is suffering from profound hearing loss. Doctor suggested hearing a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Pradeep V R
Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) clearly explains about the problems. I clearly understand your concern and worries. You are worried about the cosmetic appearance but you are missing about the importance of normal speech and hearing in life. Alread...  Read Full

Ask a Speech Therapist Now