Q. A 2-year-old has been diagnosed with moderate receptive delay and has problem in speech. Kindly help.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 05, 2019

My 2-year-old was diagnosed with a moderate receptive delay and a mild expressive delay. When he was around sixteen months, he could say thank you, stop, mama, daddy, and even his sister's name. At about nineteen months he was diagnosed with an ear infection. The infection was treated, but there was fluid that probably remained for approximately six months without our knowledge. We found out only after he started to speak less and less.

His eardrums were retracting, but he now has tubes and can hear fine. However, he still does not speak. He points, looks are in the eyes, cuddles, smiles, kisses, does gestures, loves other kids and can retrieve items if we point to them, but sometimes it seems like he does not understand. Could it be because he spent several months hearing something different? I am worried even though the doctor can be told me not to. He is in speech, but it did not seem to be helping. Any advice round truly is appreciated.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

It is possible that ear infection or glue ear hampered your child's hearing which in turn could have impaired his normal speech and language development. With support, he will be able to catch up if everything else is normal. It is advisable to continue with speech and language therapy input. Continue conversing with him regularly at home, read storybooks, etc. Even though he may not be reciprocating immediately. From your description, there are no features suggestive of any social communication developmental issues. Continue regular reviews with your child's pediatrician and speech therapist. I hope this helps.

A 55-year-old female is in coma with good vital status but eyes are still shut. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,A 55-year-old female is in coma. Her vital status are fine, but her eyes still shut, and head surgery completed 11 days back. Please help.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. She has significant brain insult in the form of left-sided brain infarct and left-sided brain blood clot or bleeding. She may need surgery to remove one part of the skull and preserve in the abdomen for future reimplantation. Consult a neurosurgeon for a decision ab...  Read Full

Why is my 11 year old son losing weight all of a sudden from last year?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an 11 year old son who weighs 25 kg and is 138 cm tall. Everyone feels that something is wrong with him, as he is losing weight from the past three years, and it is severe for the last year. He is a slow eater and eats for 40 minutes to an hour, even small meal. We keep telling ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the details that you have provided and the blood test report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). His problems are being underweight, fussy eater, constipation, and speech articulation problem. The blood tests show only vitamin D def...  Read Full

Should I be concerned about my ear infection and perforated eardrum?

Query: Hi doctor, I was recently diagnosed with ear infection and a perforated eardrum. Initially, I was diagnosed with a viral respiratory infection and followed by ear infection in a two days. I have been taking antibiotics for three days now. I have a lot of fluid continuing to seep from my ear. How lon...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It appears with your history that you are suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection that has complicated into an ear infection. Usually, once the antibiotic course starts, the problem should resolve within three to four days and completely by five to sev...  Read Full

Ask a Speech Therapist Now