Q. Does early-onset of hearing problems involve speech and vocal issues?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
Published on Aug 04, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 06, 2019

I would like to know if speech and vocal issues can be linked to early-onset hearing loss or hearing problems. I am wondering if our diagnosis of vocal nodules from vocal abuse actually is stemming from overcompensating to hear at a normal volume.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Well, the development of speech is definitely related to hearing. Early-onset hearing loss does impair development of speech as it is known that congenitally deaf are also mute. Regarding the other part, vocal abuse is in fact the only cause of vocal nodules. So technically yes those who are hard of hearing may develop vocal nodules because of inability to modulate their voice, the association has not been stated too frequently not that I know of but yes the voice regulation is definitely impaired.

Will there be hearing loss on using noise cancellation headphones 10 hours a day?

Query: Hello doctor, For my work which needs concentration, I need a noise cancellation headphone which filters out sounds. Is there any chance of hearing loss or impairment with use for 10 to 12 hours a day?  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you should not use headphones for more than three hours in your case. It also depends on what frequency and what decibel of sound the noise cancellation masker will have. You can rather use ear plugs. For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --...  Read Full

Kindly tell me the symptoms of frontotemporal dementia.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has recently received a diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia. Here is a history of her: She had what we believed to be a nervous breakdown four years back. This was after a year of stress from a pending court case. After this breakdown, she displayed some psychotic symptoms....  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully your question and would explain that fronto-temporal diagnosis is a very challenging diagnosis, which is determined by the neuro-psychological tests and the progression of the disease. Sometimes, the radiological findings are not typical of this disorde...  Read Full

Please suggest treatment for dysphonia.

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with dysphonia about a month ago. I have had a couple of speech therapy sessions but progress is glacial. I am still hoarse and in pain. I have been on 40 mg of Omeprazole for a month and Gaviscon Double Action for two weeks. I feel like the back of my throat is still ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Muscle tension dysphonia takes time to get cured. A few sessions of speech therapy are not going to rid you of the problem. Muscle tension dysphonia occurs due to various reasons and can be present after laryngitis or pneumonia as in your case. As an ENT surgeon, I w...  Read Full

Ask a Speech Therapist Now