Q. Does early-onset of hearing problems involve speech and vocal issues?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 06, 2019

I would like to know if speech and vocal issues can be linked to early-onset hearing loss or hearing problems. I am wondering if our diagnosis of vocal nodules from vocal abuse actually is stemming from overcompensating to hear at a normal volume.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Well, the development of speech is definitely related to hearing. Early-onset hearing loss does impair development of speech as it is known that congenitally deaf are also mute. Regarding the other part, vocal abuse is in fact the only cause of vocal nodules. So technically yes those who are hard of hearing may develop vocal nodules because of inability to modulate their voice, the association has not been stated too frequently not that I know of but yes the voice regulation is definitely impaired.

| 

Will there be hearing loss on using noise cancellation headphones 10 hours a day?

Query: Hello doctor, For my work which needs concentration, I need a noise cancellation headphone which filters out sounds. Is there any chance of hearing loss or impairment with use for 10 to 12 hours a day?  Read Full »

Kindly tell me the symptoms of frontotemporal dementia.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has recently received a diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia. Here is a history of her: She had what we believed to be a nervous breakdown four years back. This was after a year of stress from a pending court case. After this breakdown, she displayed some psychotic symptoms....  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for dysphonia.

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with dysphonia about a month ago. I have had a couple of speech therapy sessions but progress is glacial. I am still hoarse and in pain. I have been on 40 mg of Omeprazole for a month and Gaviscon Double Action for two weeks. I feel like the back of my throat is still ...  Read Full »

Ask a Speech Therapist Now