Q. Does early-onset of hearing problems involve speech and vocal issues?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I would like to know if speech and vocal issues can be linked to early-onset hearing loss or hearing problems. I am wondering if our diagnosis of vocal nodules from vocal abuse actually is stemming from overcompensating to hear at a normal volume.

#

Well, the development of speech is definitely related to hearing. Early-onset hearing loss does impair development of speech as it is known that congenitally deaf are also mute. Regarding the other part, vocal abuse is in fact the only cause of vocal nodules. So technically yes those who are hard of hearing may develop vocal nodules because of inability to modulate their voice, the association has not been stated too frequently not that I know of but yes the voice regulation is definitely impaired.

|