Q. How to start teaching a nonverbal child with Down syndrome through online sessions?

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi
Hi! I'm a SPED teacher and currently, I'm about to teach a non-verbal child with down syndrome. I would like to ask where to start. I don't know where and how to start teaching the child, most especially that today, we do online sessions. Also, it's my first time to handle a non-verbal child. Hoping that you can answer my query. Thank you.
# Hi Icliniq user,
It's great to get questions not just from patients but from other professional on this platform.

So one line answer is create the situation where he has to communicate verbally.

1. Get the favourite things out of reach. Don't respond to nonverbal modes, like finger pointing,finger pointing etc.
2.Use finger puppet and talk, give them sometime to interact ,be silent after saying a statement.
3. exaggerated explanation about lexical items. ohhhh see it's a mango ooooooo. mmmmmm mmm verry sweet. now am gonna eat it. Do you want to eat? pause and don't say anything after that for a while.
4. even a little attempt from her/his side should be encouraged and positive reinforcement should be given only after the response. clap, very good ,hi5 etc.

I think these steps will help you to start . Give your feedback on this.

| 

Is there any blood test to detect Down's syndrome in a fetus?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is three months pregnant, so we went for a scan to check for Down's syndrome and the baby's brain growth. I have attached the scan report. Please suggest if everything is fine, as we did not see our normal doctor.  Read Full »

Why does puberphonia occur?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male. My voice sounds like a girl's voice. Whenever someone hears my voice over the phone, then often respond me as if I am a girl. I have heard that this can be corrected through speech therapy and voice therapy. Please guide me about this.  Read Full »

Why has my back not developed properly?

Query: Hi doctor, When I started my workout today, I noticed that my back is not in proportion and not developed properly. I am wondering, why is it so? Do I have to see a chiropractor? Or do I need to adjust my workout forum? Kindly guide.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Speech Therapist Now