Q. I am trying for a baby, but it is not going as I expected. Please help.

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I am a 31-year-old male and who is 74 kg by weight. I have attached the semen analysis report, and please tell me what to do. I am trying for a baby, but it is not going as I expected.

#

The good news that counts is the motility of the sperms are normal (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), but you have agglutination positive, which means that the sperms stick together, and this causes issues with fertility. One cause is the immune response from the body, causing it to stick together with antibodies. Other causes are infection which can cause it. Lastly, causes are like trauma to the scrotum or surgery to the scrotum. I will prescribe you antibiotics like tablet Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanate potassium) 625 mg trice daily for a week. Then repeat semen analysis. If still agglutination is positive, we will need to do a test called anti-sperm antibodies. To make sure it is not an immune response that causes the issues.

|