Q. Got L1 fracture. How long will it take to heal?

Dr. Bhanu Tej

I had a fall at home and got fractured in my L1 vertebra. My local doctor is treating me conservatively. I use back brace while walking (maximum five minutes) and doing physiotherapy.

As far my work is considered, extensive travel is required. Within how many days, I will get fully fit? Will it create any complications in the future? Is any surgery required? I am really worried. Please suggest.

#

I read your query. It is almost 3.5 weeks since the injury. I saw your scan film (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Treatment/management of vertebral fractures depends on two factors mainly.

1. Is there any neurological deficit due to the fracture fragments and posterior structure?

2. Height of the collapse of the vertebra?

According to your CT scam films, the height of collapse is not more than 50 %, so according to this criteria it is conservative management (no surgery) but the status of neurological injury is not yet determined, it needs an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the whole spine. And can you please send me the CT (computerized tomography) scan report, so that the intactness of posterior structure can be known.

So if your CT scan films does not show any damage in the posterior structures and MRI does not show any compression on cord or nerve roots, it does not need surgery.

And follow up x-rays are taken, maybe at the end of one month to see for progression of the deformity.

MRI of the whole spine.

Please wear your spine brace always when you are in an upright position i.e. sitting, walking.

Follow up with CT scan report.

| 

My grandma is on bed rest. Her lower back is red and painful. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My grandmother suffered a fall in the bathroom one month back. She is 91 now. Following the fall, she developed a vertebral compression fracture. She has been on bed rest for the last few weeks and now developed redness and pain in the lower back area. Kindly advice on treatment includin...  Read Full »

My mother had T8 vertebral body fracture. What advice does she need to follow?

Query: Hello doctor, I am living in a place, but my mother lives abroad in a country with limited access to spinal surgeons. She is 71 otherwise fit and well for her age. She slipped over and was told she has a t8 vertebral body fracture that is minimally displaced with no cord compression. She is in pain...  Read Full »

How to deal with back pain due to physical exertion and trauma?

Query: Hello doctor, I was practicing sports last sunday and did a flip. I kind of landed short, and the impact from my feet hurt my back. It was difficult to walk, and my back was paining, I could barely walk, and could not bend forward at all. I went to the ER, and all they did was an X-ray on my lumbar...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Spine Surgeon Now