Q. Does my CT report show a blood clot?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 06, 2020

Post spine surgery My CT says evidence of pre and paravertebral soft tissue and differentiation of hematoma may be considered. Does this mean there is a blood clot?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I have read your question with care and understand that you want to know about a CT report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• This report means that there is a pre and paravertebral soft tissue. But, from the CT scan, they are not able to find out specifically what it is.
  • Many possibilities are to be considered and one of those possibilities is a hematoma
  • This means, that we do not know for certain that blood clot is present. But, some swelling is present and it could be a blood clot.
  • Since this is a post-operative CT scan, we have to compare this with the preoperative CT scan and the comparison can help us narrow down the diagnosis.

For further information consult a spine surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-surgeon

| 

Please suggest treatment for my arm that got trapped in a door.

Query: Hi doctor, I got my arm trapped between a metal pole and an electrically controlled door. The blood flow was cut off for around 30 seconds to a minute. My arm is quite painful and swollen. It has some blood spots and my wrist hurts when I bend my hand and fingers. Do I need to see a doctor? Is it sp...  Read Full »

The MRI of the brain shows a blood clot. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My aunt, who is 54 years old, is diabetic since the past 10 years, and she is under regular Insulin. 10 days back, she suddenly lost speech, and since then, she is not able to speak even a single word. I am attaching her CT scan and MRI scan reports along with the prescription. What i...  Read Full »

How common is it to develop a blood clot or PE with no underlying disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, How common is it to develop a blood clot or PE with no underlying clotting disorder, surgery, not on birth control, etc.? Like can a PE happen out of nowhere? Or is there always a culprit?  Read Full »

Ask a Spine Surgeon Now