Common "Splenomegaly" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


Splenomegaly is a condition where the spleen is enlarged. Enlarged spleen occurs in cases of mononucleosis, cirrhosis, cystic fibrosis, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, malaria, leukemia, and Hodgkin's disease. The symptoms are anemia, fatigue, easy bleeding, and abdominal pain. It is treated depending on the cause. In serious cases, splenectomy is done.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My 5-year-old daughter has beta-thalassemia major with enlarged spleen. Will she be transfusion dependent?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a beta thalassemia minor, but my wife is not. Recently my 5-year daughter was diagnosed with beta-thalassemia major (heterozygous). She is active and playful. No problem reported yet, but her Hb level is between 7.8 to 8.8 from starting. Her spleen is enlarged as diagnosed in USG. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello,Welcome to the you are having thalassemia minor and your wife is thalassemia negative than there is no chance of acquiring thalassemia major in your child.So your wife must also have thalassemia minor if your child is thalassemia major. Your child's attached report suggestive of...  Read Full »

My son had tumor surgery. Is the dip in WBC count serious?

Query: Hello doctor, My 15-year-old son recently completed treatment for a primary mediastinal non-seminomatous germ cell tumor. He completed 4x VIP and surgical resection with NED 20 days back. He had one transfusion of red blood cells and platelets two months back after round 4. This month, one-day post-...  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Your child is having a rare entity of non-seminomatous germ cell tumor and common extragonadal site for it is mediastinum. Mild splenomegaly is because of malignancy related process and no worry about that and nothing extra treatment needed. Second, only WBC count i...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukemia?

Query: Hello doctor, A 39-year-old female patient is suffering from acute lymphoblastic leukemia. She is currently being treated at a hospital by an oncologist. I am attaching her reports. Please suggest a treatment.  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I am sorry to hear about the patient's condition. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Lymphoblast is an abnormal form and in leukemia, premature cells are seen in the blood in increased number. So, as the blast cells wer...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain below the ribs on the left side?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male. Recently, I have been diagnosed with tubercular lymphadenitis and started the treatment three days back for TB. My USG whole abdomen reveals hemangioma of the liver. I have pain in left side below ribs which radiates to back and a couple of months back on CT sc...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Rugae thickening by itself is not going to cause you stomach pain. Such thickening is usually normal or a result of hyperacidity, or rarely Menetrier disease. Now, first of all, you need an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy as well as a biopsy to rule our Helicobacte...  Read Full »

I have spleen enlargement with Hb 8 to 9 and normal MCV. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, My Hb is 8 to 9 always, and MCV is on the normal range, on CBC. I have enlarged spleen (moderate to severe) since childhood and chronic since then. I have a history of blood transfusions but had transfused only six to seven times. My brother has the same problem with the same symptoms ...  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the You have to rule out iron deficiency anemia and hemolytic anemia in your case. You need to investigate further as follow. Serum iron estimation. Serum ferritin estimation. Serum TIBC estimation. Reticulocyte count. Peripheral smear examination report. HB e...  Read Full »

How to manage hereditary spherocytosis?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been diagnosed with mild hereditary spherocytosis. My eyes are still yellow. Is it unlikely hematologist who diagnosed me three years ago was misdiagnosed? I do not doubt he knows his stuff. More about me getting worried. I lost weight a couple of months ago. I went very yellow i...  Read Full »

Dr. Singh Smrita

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through your laboratory reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and they are consistent with the diagnosis made by your doctor. The yellowish tint of the eyes is due to increased bilirubin levels. This is due to the increased red blood ...  Read Full »

Is there any problem with occasional liver enlargement with raised bilirubin?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been dealing with some health issues for three years. I had an ultrasound before showing my spleen was mildly enlarged to 12.8 cm. Since then I have had on and off spleen enlargements. Last week I had an ultrasound with again a mild spleen enlargement at 12.8 cm. Sometimes the s...  Read Full »

Dr. Kamal Kant Sahu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I hope you are safe. I reviewed your doctor's report. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). While I can understand your concern, but as of there is no one pick and choose a reason for your case. To be frank, I am not bothered by your spleen size or liver ...  Read Full »

My liver readings are elevated. Does it indicate liver damage?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 29 years old with 180 cm tall and 62 kg weight. I was diagnosed with hereditary spherocytosis before five years, and my gallbladder was removed. Recently had an ultrasound to see the liver and spleen. I would have mildly elevated liver readings. Hematologist wanted to check that th...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Your spleen is enlarged in size (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The liver appears normal in size, and the echotexture looks normal. I would like to know which liver readings get elevated? Liver enzymes can get elevated when the hemolysis is not enti...  Read Full »

I feel uncomfortable while lying down on the left. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old female with an uncomfortable sensation on the left side of my stomach. I do not have pain, but the sensation is annoying. I only have it when I lie down. It feels like a fullness on the left side. My left side feels heavy, but if I lie on my right side, I do not have...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchilaprasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Your symptoms are dragging my thoughts toward moderate splenomegaly. Patients with splenic enlargement in tropical malaria infection may have lumpy feelings in the left hypochondrium. Other possibilities include acute gastritis, abdominal gas, and left pleural effusion...  Read Full »

My blood tests show mild splenomegaly. Do I have polycythemia vera?

Query: Hi doctor, I had COVID-19 twice in three months. I have attached my CBC report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). The reports showed mild splenomegaly. I am worried the most about polycythemia vera. I just moved to a new city and cannot get a consultation until next year. I ran ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. I have reviewed your reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Your hemoglobin and hematocrit are borderline high, and liver enzymes are deranged, the blood glucose level is relatively high, the spleen is slightly enlar...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.