Splenomegaly

My spleen is enlarged, and CBC is normal. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have enlarged spleen from the last two years. I am 24 years old, male. My spleen size went from 13.4 cm two years back to 14 cm to 14.4 cm four months back. My CBC report looks normal and I have vitamin B12 level as 349 and vitamin D as 11.13. I have MCV level 102.4 and MCH level 34.2...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and below is my opinion. The various causes for enlarged spleen include infection like malaria, Gaucher disease like storage disorder, hemolytic anemia, leukemia, lymphoma, infections, liver disease, etc. The CBC and peripheral smear exami...  Read Full »

Ultrasound report shows splenic hemangioma and enlarged spleen. Is this malignant?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an incidental low-density mass, found on my spleen during a CT scan for possible kidney stones. A recommended follow up ultrasound with doppler showed a 4.3 X 4.7 X 4.8 cm ill-defined heterogeneous hyperechoic mass. The mass showed blood flow around the peripheral. The report sa...  Read Full »

Dr. Subhadeep Tripathy

General Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you mentioned that it might be splenic haemangioma as per USG (ultrasonography) with Doppler, let me relieve you by stating that it is one of the rarest condition affecting the spleen, one of the commonest benign condition and has no malignant potential. So do not...  Read Full »

Is pregnancy safe for women with enlarged spleen?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a hemoglobin C, and an enlarged spleen (18 cm), my doctor said as long as it does not hurt we will keep it. I do not sleep well because I feel like there is a big heavy ball in my stomach moving. I gave birth two years ago and I want to have another baby. My ques...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having hemoglobin C hemoglobinopathy leading to hemolysis and hence splenomegaly is present. Your hemoglobin level also should be checked. In this case, as the cell turnover is high, folic acid is prescribed. If splenectomy is done, in pregnancy, there ...  Read Full »

What causes splenomegaly in pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is suffering from pain around the uterus. She is 16 weeks pregnant. Her doctor suggested for a urine test and ultrasound scan. Urine infection was detected and using medicines for it. But, the ultrasound scan report came as splenomegaly and low lying placenta. This is our second b...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which reveals a normal blood test with urine infection sensitive to Nitrofurantoin and two scans revealing a pregnancy with low lying or anterior placenta along with splenomegaly. Urinary...  Read Full »

My liver readings are elevated. Does it indicate liver damage?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 29 years old with 180 cm tall and 62 kg weight. I was diagnosed with hereditary spherocytosis before five years, and my gallbladder was removed. Recently had an ultrasound to see the liver and spleen. I would have mildly elevated liver readings. Hematologist wanted to check that th...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your spleen is enlarged in size (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The liver appears normal in size, and the echotexture looks normal. I would like to know which liver readings get elevated? Liver enzymes can get elevated when the hemolysis is not enti...  Read Full »

Please suggest a treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukemia.

Query: Hello doctor, A 39 year old¬†female patient is suffering from acute lymphoblastic leukemia. She is currently being treated at a hospital by an oncologist. I am attaching her reports. Please suggest a treatment.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about the patient's condition. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Lymphoblast is an abnormal form and in leukemia, premature cells are seen in the blood in increased number. So, as the blast cells were p...  Read Full »

My 5-year-old daughter has beta-thalassemia major with enlarged spleen. Will she be transfusion dependent?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a beta thalassemia minor, but my wife is not. Recently my 5-year daughter was diagnosed with beta-thalassemia major (heterozygous). She is active and playful. No problem reported yet, but her Hb level is between 7.8 to 8.8 from starting. Her spleen is enlarged as diagnosed in USG. ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. If you are having thalassemia minor and your wife is thalassemia negative than there is no chance of acquiring thalassemia major in your child.So your wife must also have thalassemia minor if your child is thalassemia major. Your child's attached report suggestiv...  Read Full »

I have spleen enlargement with Hb 8 to 9 and normal MCV. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, My Hb is 8 to 9 always, and MCV is on the normal range, on CBC. I have enlarged spleen (moderate to severe) since childhood and chronic since then. I have a history of blood transfusions but had transfused only 6 to 7 times. My brother has the same problem with the same symptoms also....  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. You have to rule out iron deficiency anemia and hemolytic anemia in your case. You need to investigate further as follow. serum iron estimation serum ferritin estimation serum TIBC estimation Reticulocyte count Peripheral smear examination report HB elect...  Read Full »

Is mild hereditary spherocytosis the correct diagnosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with mild hereditary spherocytosis. My eyes still yellow. Is it unlikely hematologist who diagnosed me three years ago misdiagnosed? I do not doubt he knows his stuff. More about me getting worried. I lost weight a couple of months ago. I went very yellow in the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Pathologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your lab reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and they are consistent with the diagnosis made by your doctor.Yellowish tint of the eyes is due to increased bilirubin levels. This is due to the increased red blood cell destructi...  Read Full »

Is dip in WBC after mediastinal nonseminomatous germ cell tumor surgery serious?

Query: Hello doctor, My 15-year-old son recently completed treatment for a primary mediastinal non-seminomatous germ cell tumor. He completed 4x VIP and surgical resection with NED 20 days back. He had one transfusion of red blood cells and platelets two months back after round 4. This month, one-day post...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your child is having a rare entity of non-seminomatous germ cell tumor and common extragonadal site for it is mediastinum. Mild splenomegaly is because of malignancy related process and no worry about that and nothing extra treatment needed. Second, only WBC count i...  Read Full »