Splenomegaly

How is the prognosis of a child with abnormal hemoglobin pattern?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend is going to adopt a 6 months old female child. Certain routine tests were performed on the child. I have attached the reports for your reference. The Hb electrophoresis for thalassemia screening is showing an abnormal hemoglobin pattern. The treating pediatrician is not sure abo...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: Looking at the report of HbD trait (hemoglobin D), the prognosis is excellent. The child will be very rarely transfusion dependent and mostly asymptomatic. ...  Read Full »

Is there any problem with occasional liver enlargement with raised bilirubin?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been dealing with some health issues for three years. I had an ultrasound before showing my spleen was mildly enlarged to 12.8 cm. Since then I have had on and off spleen enlargements. Last week I had an ultrasound with again a mild spleen enlargement at 12.8 cm. Sometimes the s...  Read Full »

Dr. Kks

Hematologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope you are safe. I reviewed your doctor's report. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). While I can understand your concern, but as of there is no one pick and choose a reason for your case. To be frank, I am not bothered by your spleen size or liver ...  Read Full »

What does neutropenia mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had my blood test and the results came back that I had mild neutropenia. It has got me a little concerned since this has been present on my last two blood tests with the lymphocyte count being significantly higher, but still within the normal upper limits. I have had no in...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Neutropenia is reduced neutrophils in the blood. Neutrophil is one of the five types of white blood cells (WBC) in the blood. Normally, when the instrument counts the WBC, it counts 500 cells and divides the type of cells. If...  Read Full »

My spleen is enlarged, and CBC is normal. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have enlarged spleen from the last two years. I am 24 years old, male. My spleen size went from 13.4 cm two years back to 14 cm to 14.4 cm four months back. My CBC report looks normal and I have vitamin B12 level as 349 and vitamin D as 11.13. I have MCV level 102.4 and MCH level 34.2...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and below is my opinion. The various causes for enlarged spleen include infection like malaria, Gaucher disease like storage disorder, hemolytic anemia, leukemia, lymphoma, infections, liver disease, etc. The CBC and peripheral smear exami...  Read Full »

Ultrasound report shows splenic hemangioma and enlarged spleen. Is this malignant?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an incidental low-density mass, found on my spleen during a CT scan for possible kidney stones. A recommended follow up ultrasound with doppler showed a 4.3 X 4.7 X 4.8 cm ill-defined heterogeneous hyperechoic mass. The mass showed blood flow around the peripheral. The report sa...  Read Full »

Dr. Subhadeep Tripathy

General Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you mentioned that it might be splenic haemangioma as per USG (ultrasonography) with Doppler, let me relieve you by stating that it is one of the rarest condition affecting the spleen, one of the commonest benign condition and has no malignant potential. So do not...  Read Full »

Is pregnancy safe for women with enlarged spleen?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a hemoglobin C, and an enlarged spleen (18 cm), my doctor said as long as it does not hurt we will keep it. I do not sleep well because I feel like there is a big heavy ball in my stomach moving. I gave birth two years ago and I want to have another baby. My ques...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having hemoglobin C hemoglobinopathy leading to hemolysis and hence splenomegaly is present. Your hemoglobin level also should be checked. In this case, as the cell turnover is high, folic acid is prescribed. If splenectomy is done, in pregnancy, there ...  Read Full »

What causes splenomegaly in pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is suffering from pain around the uterus. She is 16 weeks pregnant. Her doctor suggested for a urine test and ultrasound scan. Urine infection was detected and using medicines for it. But, the ultrasound scan report came as splenomegaly and low lying placenta. This is our second b...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which reveals a normal blood test with urine infection sensitive to Nitrofurantoin and two scans revealing a pregnancy with low lying or anterior placenta along with splenomegaly. Urinary...  Read Full »

My liver readings are elevated. Does it indicate liver damage?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 29 years old with 180 cm tall and 62 kg weight. I was diagnosed with hereditary spherocytosis before five years, and my gallbladder was removed. Recently had an ultrasound to see the liver and spleen. I would have mildly elevated liver readings. Hematologist wanted to check that th...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your spleen is enlarged in size (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The liver appears normal in size, and the echotexture looks normal. I would like to know which liver readings get elevated? Liver enzymes can get elevated when the hemolysis is not enti...  Read Full »

Please suggest a treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukemia.

Query: Hello doctor, A 39 year old¬†female patient is suffering from acute lymphoblastic leukemia. She is currently being treated at a hospital by an oncologist. I am attaching her reports. Please suggest a treatment.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about the patient's condition. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Lymphoblast is an abnormal form and in leukemia, premature cells are seen in the blood in increased number. So, as the blast cells were p...  Read Full »

My 5-year-old daughter has beta-thalassemia major with enlarged spleen. Will she be transfusion dependent?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a beta thalassemia minor, but my wife is not. Recently my 5-year daughter was diagnosed with beta-thalassemia major (heterozygous). She is active and playful. No problem reported yet, but her Hb level is between 7.8 to 8.8 from starting. Her spleen is enlarged as diagnosed in USG. ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. If you are having thalassemia minor and your wife is thalassemia negative than there is no chance of acquiring thalassemia major in your child.So your wife must also have thalassemia minor if your child is thalassemia major. Your child's attached report suggestiv...  Read Full »