Q. What symptoms can I expect with positive HLA-B27 and spondyloarthritis?

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar

I am an 18-year-old female. Six months ago, I did some blood tests and my doctor said that I resulted in positive HLA-B27 and that she suspects me to have spondyloarthritis. But she did not explain to me things that I can or cannot do from now on. I take one tablet of vitamin D weekly and anti-inflammatory medication. Can you tell me about people that have the type I have? What should I not do in my daily life and what symptoms should I be curious about? And can I donate blood?

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

Spondyloarthritis (SpA) is a group of disorders which predominantly affects (inflammation or arthritis) in the spine and lower limbs. The common diseases which comes under SpA are ankylosing spondylitis, reactive arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, etc.

HLA- B27 is a gene which is found more frequent in SpA group of diseases. You can do all activities like a normal person. Regular exercise and active life is advised in SpA.

Monitor your symptoms like early morning stiffness for more than 30 minutes, arthritis of joints, eye inflammation, pain abdomen and blood in stool.

Yes, you can donate your blood . This is not a blood born disease. So, it will never be transmitted to anyone via blood . You can enjoy your life like an HLA B27 negative person with regular medicines and treatment under the guidance of a Rheumatologist.

You should avoid unhealthy foods and weight gain. Knowledge of good posture and back exercise are very important in SpA.

|