Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. What symptoms can I expect with positive HLA-B27 and spondyloarthritis?

Answered by
Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am an 18-year-old female. Six months ago, I did some blood tests and my doctor said that I resulted in positive HLA-B27 and that she suspects me to have spondyloarthritis. But she did not explain to me things that I can or cannot do from now on. I take one tablet of vitamin D weekly and anti-inflammatory medication. Can you tell me about people that have the type I have? What should I not do in my daily life and what symptoms should I be curious about? And can I donate blood?

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology


Welcome to

Spondyloarthritis (SpA) is a group of disorders which predominantly affects (inflammation or arthritis) in the spine and lower limbs. The common diseases which comes under SpA are ankylosing spondylitis, reactive arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, etc.

HLA- B27 is a gene which is found more frequent in SpA group of diseases. You can do all activities like a normal person. Regular exercise and active life is advised in SpA.

Monitor your symptoms like early morning stiffness for more than 30 minutes, arthritis of joints, eye inflammation, pain abdomen and blood in stool.

Yes, you can donate your blood . This is not a blood born disease. So, it will never be transmitted to anyone via blood . You can enjoy your life like an HLA B27 negative person with regular medicines and treatment under the guidance of a Rheumatologist.

You should avoid unhealthy foods and weight gain. Knowledge of good posture and back exercise are very important in SpA.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Is there nothing that can be done about the pain from scoliosis and hypermobility?
I am suffering from muscle pain near my chest. Please help.
From the scan report, please explain the cause of my low back pain.

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How to treat painful, red, and sensitive eyes with irritation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old female. My right eye is red and very sensitive to light. It is painful while I move the eyeballs. Center of the eye is paining with irritation.  Read Full »

Can HLA B27 positve male with ankylosing spondylitis affect his children?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years, I had a hip resurfacing surgery eight years back. I am an HLA B27 positive, even my father is also positive. I have joint pain since last fourteen years. Now, I wish to know that, if I marry and have children will this pass on to them? What measures should I take to ens...  Read Full »

Are vitreous cells found in anterior uveitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with bilateral anterior uveitis two months back. I was put on Pred Forte. After 20 days of which only occasional AC cells were seen in right eye with no flare. Left eye was clear, but few mid vitreous cells were seen which were not present before. Hence, I was still on Pre...  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Rheumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.