Q. Can stress cause spotting in pregnancy?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

I am six weeks pregnant. For the past few days, I had spotting, and on the 8 th of this month, I visited a doctor and had a transvaginal scan. They told me my baby is in the growing stage, and they asked me to take another scan on the 22nd of the same month. After the transvaginal scan, I had spotting and light bleeding till now. I used a pad, but nothing was filled. Only when I pass stool, I see the bleeding and discharge. Kindly help me by clarifying my doubt.

#

Before we can proceed, is it possible to share the transvaginal scan report. This will help me assess the situation better. Also, are you on any medication, and can you please attach the prescription.

I do not have the scan report. My doctor just saw and told me that baby is just started growing in the uterus and prescribed a folic acid tablet.

#

I have gone through your prescription (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Your doctor has prescribed tablets Ecosprin (Aspirin), Folic acid, and Doxinate (Doxylamine). Folic acid and Ecosprin will help protect your pregnancy. Usually, six weeks is too early to see a fetal heartbeat, and only a gestation sac will be seen. Hence your doctor has asked to repeat the scan after two weeks, by which the baby or fetus should be visible. In many pregnancies, mild spotting is very common and considered normal. The Ecosprin tablet will help control the spotting. So be stress-free and continue your medication till your next visit. You also start tablet Susten 200 mg one at night after consulting with your gynecologist.

I will let you know the reports of my next scan. Thank you so much.

#

Your welcome. I am always happy to help you.

Hi ma'am, now im 9 weeks and 6 days pregnant. I had a transvaginal scan on April 22nd and my baby was fine with 110 heartbeat rate. Now for past three days I have light brown
sometime pinkish spotting now and then. I don't have pain or noticeable cramps as such. Is it a concern ? Should I visit hospital immediately? My 3rd month scan is scheduled on 31st May. Kindly advise. Attached my reports for reference.
# hello subha ,

gud to hear from u .
glad ur doing gud .

mild spotting or bleeding without pain is normal up to 12 weeks of gestation . it's called implantation bleed and occurs when embryo borrows into the endometrium (this is normal ) or the bleed could be a small bleed present behind the developing placenta .
if the bleeding remains minimal or without pain , immediate intervention is not required.

also are u taking the progestrone supplementation?

kindly let me know..

regards
Hi mam, I called my doctor and spoke to her yesterday. She also told me not to worry and when I asked her about progesterone tablet she told me that in their hospital they won't suggest or practice giving progesterone tablets.

But I'm worried now mam. Today about 2 pm I had a string like blood discharge and that string has small in the sense very tiny blood clots in it. And at times I feel my vagina is very dry.

I'm attaching my blood test reports mam. I kindly request you to have a look at it and suggest me with medicines.

Now since my thyroid level is high I take TROXIN 50 MG, FOLVITE MB FOLIC ACID AND ECOSPRIN 75MG.

And please advise me what should I do. I am worried mam... Kindly do the needful ma'am.
# hello subha ,

I went through ur reports.
all ur blood reports are fine
except for ur thyroid levels - for which u are taking medication. (thyroxin )
also ur rubella antigen is positive - this is a virus which can cause abortions and sometimes anomalies in the baby.
I really think u should visit a different doctor .
I really think u should be started on progestrone , but since u are not here in bangalore where I can meet u in person am unable to do tat.
also I would like u to do some reasearch on progestrone supplementation in pregnancy online.
and also regarding ecospirin ( coz usually it is given only after 12 weeks of pregnancy ) .
also if u have any don't revert back .

regards

|