Q. My wife is 25 weeks pregnant and has spotting for the past two weeks. Please advise.

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2020

My wife is 32 years old. She is 25 weeks pregnant currently. This is our second baby. Our first baby is 6 years old.

She had a USG after 20 weeks of pregnancy which was normal (specifically placenta location was normal). But from the last two weeks, she is experiencing spotting every day (it is not heavy bleeding just but little blood in undergarments generally once a day). Can you please advise?

We have to travel in the coming days by car around 500 km. Can you please suggest precautions?

#

Please get yourself checked by a gynecologist internally and get a pelvic scan done to rule out the exact cause. Avoid stress and strain, anxiety, work pressures, lifting heavy weights, bumpy drives, and exercise. Take progesterone supplements. Travel at this point is not good.

Do get back to me with reports so that I can guide you further.

Please find the attached ultrasound scan report.

#

I have gone through your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Everything is normal and there is nothing to worry about. Take progesterone supplements and adequate rest. But it is better to avoid travel. Travel is a big no and not at all advisable. However, if you have a doubt then get back to me.

I will not bother you further and just need your reply on the below points.

We are still not sure then what is the reason for spotting? Is not this low lying placenta? Can you please suggest progesterone dose? I am hoping taking progesterone will stop spotting?

Does she need to be on full bed rest in the rest of the pregnancy due to spotting and current placenta location? She also had a glucose tolerance test (75gm 1 hour) yesterday which resulted in 170. Is this something to worry about?

#

Usually, it is because of hormonal changes and also low lying placenta. Taking progesterone will not stop spotting, but will help support the pregnancy. Take tablet Susten (Progesterone) 200 mg twice a day and tablet Texakind MF thrice a day for five days to stop bleeding. Yes, complete bed rest and proper diet are very important. Nothing to do with the GTT.

As you said the report is normal so does this mean it is not a low lying placenta? You suggested complete bed rest does this mean she cannot even sit for some time and she has to lay down all the time? Is there something in the report to be 100% on bed rest? I understand GTT has nothing to do with this problem but 170 (on 75 gm 1 hour) is something to worry about?

#

Placenta is not low lying at all. Complete rest is because of bleeding. She can sit for a while, also have a stroll, but within the home and not more than 5-10 minutes. GTT of >200 is of some significance and yours is well within the range. So relax and do not worry.

| 

Is travelling with placenta previa safe during the 28th week of pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28+2 weeks pregnant and have low lying placenta which is 1.6 cm from the internal os. I want to travel by train for a six hour journey. Will the train journey affect my baby and me? What should I do? What precautions should I take in this? Can blood clot happen in journey? Please adv...  Read Full »

Is hCG or Progesterone injection indicated for spotting in pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 7 weeks pregnant. I am passing clots and spotting is there for the last two weeks. USG revealed subchorionic hemorrhage, but the fetal heart rate is good. I am taking Susten 200 twice a day and Duphaston 10 once a day. My hCG is 18000 on the 7th week. Should I take hCG injection or p...  Read Full »

Have I developed laxative dependency?

Query: Hello doctor, I am contacting you regarding my bowel issues. About five years ago, I began taking moderate to high doses of Magnesium to ease my heart palpitations. This caused my stools to be very loose and easy to pass. I would normally have 2 to 3 bowel movements a day. Beginning last year, I st...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»