Q. What can a 24-year-old female do to control the bleeding and spotting that she has been having after the placement of a contraceptive implant?

Dr. Purushottam Sah

I am a 24-year-old female who had a contraceptive implant three months ago. I am not taking any medications. I did not get my period for the first two months, but I have been spotting for the past 35 days. What can I do to stop the bleeding and spotting?

#

I can see that you have breakthrough spotting from the attached images (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). It means the level of hormone released from the implant is insufficient to prevent spotting. I suggest you take a low-dose oral contraceptive pill daily or take a long-acting progesterone injection every three months to control the bleeding.

Thank you doctor for the reply,

Can I start taking the Yasmin daily pills?

#

I suggest you start taking the medications continuously for one week. Please purchase a new pack of the medication after your finish one pack.

Thank you doctor for the reply,

I will follow all the instructions and start taking the medicines you suggested.

#

Please take the medications on time and consult me for any queries.

|