Q. Can I consider spotting that lasted for three days as my periods?

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

I experienced spotting in the last week for three days. It was a small amount of spotting discharge, which was brown with a bit of red. I did not get my period on the actual date. May I consider the spotting as my periods? But it was not the usual amount of bleeding as I have in my period. I only used a liner with it and not may napkin pad.

#

Your spotting for the three days cannot be considered as the menstrual period. The usual amount should at least be at 80 ml per cycle, and that would approximate at least 10 moderately soaked pads. Some possible causes would be a hormonal disturbance, and this could vary as far as pregnancy, and hormonal imbalance is secondary to stress, weight loss, current illness, etc.

I would suggest you to have a pregnancy test first if it is negative, then you may opt to observe until the second week of next month. If there is no period still, you need to consult your gynecologist to help you with the diagnostics such as transvaginal ultrasound and if no other causes, she may prescribe you with pills to regulate your period back.

Hormonal imbalance.

I got my first pregnancy test before three days, and it was negative. Should I visit my gynecologist to know what is going on? Or wait until the second week of next month, and have a pregnancy test again?

#

Wait for two more weeks before consulting, or repeat your home pregnancy test before next month. If it is still negative, then you are not pregnant, but you need a gynecologist consultation.

| 

Is spotting normal during early pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 34 years old. I always have regular periods with a 28 day cycle. I have pregnancy like symptoms for the past two weeks. I feel nausea, cramps, strong smell, etc. Actually, my period was ahead of due. For the past 15 days I have very light watery bleeding started and is still on. It i...  Read Full »

My pregnant test is negative but I miss my period. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I have PCOD, and I am planning to conceive. I am under Macfolate and Metformin tablets for the past seven months. I have regular periods for the past six months. This month, on the 11th day, I missed my period. After two days, when I checked for pregnancy, I got a negative result. Again ...  Read Full »

Can spotting be a sign of pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and got married a year ago. We are trying for a baby for the last three months. My LMP was on the 9th of last month. I never faced issues with my menstrual cycle. It is a regular 29 day cycle. We had an unprotected sex from 17th to 25th for every alternate day. I have ...  Read Full »

COVID-19 Vaccines in India
Two vaccines, Covishield and Covaxin, have been granted emergency use authorization in India. Read about these vaccines'...  Read more»
I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»