Q. Can I consider spotting that lasted for three days as my periods?

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

I experienced spotting in the last week for three days. It was a small amount of spotting discharge, which was brown with a bit of red. I did not get my period on the actual date. May I consider the spotting as my periods? But it was not the usual amount of bleeding as I have in my period. I only used a liner with it and not may napkin pad.

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Your spotting for the three days cannot be considered as the menstrual period. The usual amount should at least be at 80 ml per cycle, and that would approximate at least 10 moderately soaked pads. Some possible causes would be a hormonal disturbance, and this could vary as far as pregnancy, and hormonal imbalance is secondary to stress, weight loss, current illness, etc.

I would suggest you to have a pregnancy test first if it is negative, then you may opt to observe until the second week of next month. If there is no period still, you need to consult your gynecologist to help you with the diagnostics such as transvaginal ultrasound and if no other causes, she may prescribe you with pills to regulate your period back.

Hormonal imbalance.

| 

I got my first pregnancy test before three days, and it was negative. Should I visit my gynecologist to know what is going on? Or wait until the second week of next month, and have a pregnancy test again?

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Wait for two more weeks before consulting, or repeat your home pregnancy test before next month. If it is still negative, then you are not pregnant, but you need a gynecologist consultation.

|