Q. I am trying to conceive but I am spotting in my last two cycles. Why?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 10, 2019

I have been having spotting during my past two cycles on an off for days on end. I am not sure if I should be concerned. I have stopped birth control for over one year, and I am trying to conceive from the past two months. I have had a couple of urinary tract infections during these cycles. I am worried that my hormones are out of balance.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The presence of pinkish-brown spotting in the proliferative phase of your cycle does indicate that you are having inadequate endometrialization possibly due to decreased serum estradiol levels during the phase. Also if the spotting turns darkish brown in the second phase of the cycle, then the level of progesterone is also inadequate which can cause early spotting premises as well.

It is suggested that you should get your hormonal profile for day-2 of cycle done and also take to sequential ultrasonographic follicular and endometrial thickness monitoring which would indicate the state of endometrialization due to estrogens and also the correct time of ovulation.

This can be corrected by starting estradiol pills in the first half of the cycle followed by progesterone-only pills post ovulation, which shall prevent these bleeding episodes.

Is spotting due to I-pill or early pregnancy symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor,I had unprotected sex five month back and took I-pill within 12 to 14 hours. I have done home tests on the sixth and ninth day which were negative. I had brown spotting on the 13th day and some spotting today as well. My last period was ten days before having sex. Is the spotting due to th...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sweta Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, the best way to find out whether this is spotting due to pregnancy or I-pill is by doing a simple blood test namely the serum beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) to rule out pregnancy. Please share the report when ready. Home pregnancy tests are not very accur...  Read Full

Is Urinary Tract Infection contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean? I am 23 years old and sexually active...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. UTI - urinary tract infection caused by Klebsiella takes longer to get treated. But, once cleared it should not come back. Recurrent UTI could be due to kidney stones, diabetes, dehydration, involvement of upper urinary tract, frequent sexual encounters, etc. I would ...  Read Full

Following UTI, I am getting vaginal dryness and pain. How to treat this?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pain can be due to cystitis or recurrence of UTI (urinary tract infection). UTI will not cause vaginal dryness. It indicates inadequate exposure to estrogen (hormone), which can be due to many causes. Regarding dryness and pain during intercourse, it can be reduce...  Read Full

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now