Q. I have pain in my wrist and fingers. Is that due to the rabies injection overdose?

Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am currently feeling pain in my wrists, both hands. The pain sometimes radiates into fingers and finger joints and also the back of the palm. Yesterday, I completed my rabies five injection dose. I did a similar five injection course seven months back. Did I take an overdose? Are my wrist and finger pain a reaction to the overdose? Or side effects to the vaccination? I did lift a bag of 10 kg in the wrong way ten days back. But I think pain should have cured of this was the reason.

#

Thanks for the query.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from pain in both the wrist joints that radiate into fingers and finger joints with the back of the palm. You had a history of lifting a bag of 10 kg in a wrong way ten days back. According to WHO (World health organisation), four doses of rabies vaccine are recommended with one rabies immunoglobulin; maybe seven months ago, you came in contact with a rabid animal, for that you had taken rabies vaccine with rabies immunoglobulin. I think both wrists' pain may result from strains or sprains caused by lifting a bag of 10 kg. You can undergo an x-ray of both wrist joints, including fingers, to exclude any stress fracture. In the meantime, you can take NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug) like Ibuprofen, Aceclofenac, or Naproxen with Calcium plus Vitamin D and muscle relaxants with Antiulcerants. In case of any other query, ask me.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

I want to ask you the following:

I took five rabies injection seven months back and, due to reexposure, took again five injections this month. Is it that my hand is paining due to an overdose of the rabies vaccine? Or is that the side effects of the rabies vaccine? Or unrelated.

#

Thanks for joining us again.

• You have a history of taking rabies vaccination twice. I do not think your wrist pain was caused by vaccination. It is unrelated.
  • Your history of lifting a heavy bag may cause such type of pain due to strains or sprains. Your wrist pain is not related to rabies vaccination.
  • You can undergo an x-ray and the CT scan of the wrist joint to exclude any stress fracture or any other injuries to the tendon, ligaments, etc.
  • You can also take the medications that have already been mentioned.

If any other query, knock me, and I will try to reply to you further.

|